BLACKBIRD (Skylark Convertible)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barbaric, yet effective!
I remember reading about a similar method of straightening a bent car floor in one of my cars DIY repair books. The method is really simple just requires a lot of measuring and brutal force.
Very nice to see that your jig works
It's an old technique that's been around since the middle ages.:21:
torture.jpg

Think your one step away from building frames. Looking good,
I would love to but my inability to make nice welds is holding me back. :(
55731910_2153594998284807_4352257300366494713_n.jpg

This is what happens when boys take girls bikes off some sweet jumps .
pSsgF7a.gif

No updates to report for this weekend, but here's this...
You know what that frame needs?
A convertible tank...
Mullet fenders...
One of those cool seats that I forget the name off!
You are right about that @LukeTheJoker !

For those of you that might be wondering what a Mullet fender is, it's basically a fiberglass reproduction of Elgin Skylark and Elgin Bluebird fenders.

As you might imagine anything that's Bluebird related is next to impossible to find and takes a second mortgage to pay for if you do. So I decided back in January to make a TRM version of the rear fender to sell. The TRM version is slightly different from the originals. They are wider and longer. The tail is so long that it reminded me of a mullet so hence the name.:21: This allows for either custom applications or it can be cut down to look like an original. (Shameless plug: Here's my For Sale Ad).

First Mullet Fender.jpg

Some of you have seen this on the TRM facebook page but for the rest of you here's how the plug for the fender mold looked on this frame back in March:

Fender fit.jpg

The main reason I decided to enter this bike was so I could build a cool bike to use the fenders and TRM tank on! I'll be glad when I get past straightening the frame so I can get to the fun stuff! Rain this weekend has been holding me back.:(

For those of you that might be wondering what a Mullet fender is, it's basically a fiberglass reproduction of Elgin Skylark and Elgin Bluebird fenders.

As you might imagine anything that's Bluebird related is next to impossible to find and takes a second mortgage to pay for if you do. So I decided back in January to make a TRM version of the rear fender to sell. The TRM version is slightly different from the originals. They are wider and longer. The tail is so long that it reminded me of a mullet so hence the name.:21: This allows for either custom applications or it can be cut down to look like an original. (Shameless plug: Here's my For Sale Ad).

View attachment 94394

Some of you have seen this on the TRM facebook page but for the rest of you here's how the plug for the fender mold looked on this frame back in March:

View attachment 94395

The main reason I decided to enter this bike was so I could build a cool bike to use the fenders and TRM tank on! I'll be glad when I get past straightening the frame so I can get to the fun stuff! Rain this weekend has been holding me back.:(
Can you remind us what the seat is called again? :oops:

It's called a Christy Saddle. HERE's an link. I'm not sure if I'll use one on this bike though.

Interesting that you bring it up. I've actually been working on a couple of them in between a sign job for the last couple of days. Sadly that has taken the place of any frame straightening on the Skylark but customers have to come first.

Here's the leather pads that I've been forming over the weekend and today.
100_6316.JPG

It's called a Christy Saddle. HERE's an link. I'm not sure if I'll use one on this bike though.

Interesting that you bring it up. I've actually been working on a couple of them in between a sign job for the last couple of days. Sadly that has taken the place of any frame straightening on the Skylark but customers have to come first.

Here's the leather pads that I've been forming over the weekend and today.
View attachment 94588
Awesome!

It's been another slow news day today. The only thing I did with the bike was look at the frame a couple of times as I walked past it.

Since nothing else is happening here, I thought this would be a good time to share an ad that I posted about six months ago for my TRM tanks. I've been wanting to convert a Skylark for a few years now!
Skylark tank ad.jpg

It's been another slow news day today. The only thing I did with the bike was look at the frame a couple of times as I walked past it.

Since nothing else is happening here, I thought this would be a good time to share an ad that I posted about six months ago for my TRM tanks. I've been wanting to convert a Skylark for a few years now!
View attachment 94692
Very reminiscent of the vintage Volkswagen ad campaign of the 60s. Love it!

Great frame to showcase your wares on. Killer jig too. You should make a custom three legged tank to match the frame.

View attachment 94394

View attachment 94395

I have a bike I think this fender would look good on....

View attachment 94692

Posting this to my instagram, love all your ads :cool2:

It's going to look awesome. Is your tank gonna fit this bike being a three bar or are you going to modify it ?
Good question! The tanks are designed to fit any frame (within reason). There are no cut outs to start with so it will work with this frame the same as any two bar frame. It will just require one more cut out. When I sell the tanks it comes with instructions and the fiberglass is very easy to cut and sand. :)
Very reminiscent of the vintage Volkswagen ad campaign of the 60s. Love it!
Exactly! That was the inspiration for this one. It's cool that you recognized it, I must have done it right.:happy:
Great frame to showcase your wares on. Killer jig too. You should make a custom three legged tank to match the frame.
Thanks Brian. Three legged huh? Hmmm:39:
I have a bike I think this fender would look good on....
Let me know, I have them ready to ship!
Posting this to my instagram, love all your ads :cool2:
Awesome, thanks!
My TRM tank ad adorns the BACK40, compliments of, well, TRM.

View attachment 94818
Ah yes, I had forgot about that and the Back Forty bottle caps also!

Update on the Skylark... Nothing.

But I am finished hand lettering the signs in the background that have been taking up my bike time. Next week I'll get them installed and hopefully get back to building!
IMG_0730.JPG

Last edited:
Lol. I'm known for my ability to under estimate time!
It's a good thing that we have an extra month for BO14, looks like my first month is rapidly going down in flames. This upcoming week is shaping up to be another no bike week.:(

That Scrambler is a blast to ride! I need to get it back out sometime.

Still haven't touched the Skylark.

Just got back from a few days in New Orleans and thought I'd share some of the bikes that I saw there.
IMG_0745.JPG
IMG_0747.JPG
IMG_0766.JPG

Best not to leave your bike unattended for too long even if it's locked to a pole.
IMG_0762.JPG

Latest posts

Back