Blackened White

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
me_zpscaa76ada.jpg

Myself, late spring 1970, on my new '70 Schwinn Cotton Picker. I was nine. My build will revisit those days, but you can never really go back.

Maybe I'll finish this time.

furyus

What an awesome photo to build from.
I especially like the "Homeschool Rocks" t-shirt. :p

I agree a recreate the pic!!! good luck and would love to see bike pics!!!

Troy

Thanks for sharing the enthusiasm, folks. More to come very soon. And Fish, that's pretty darned close, but no ceegar. The shirt reads "Holmes Run Rockets," my first Little League baseball team. I played glove-chewer I mean outfielder that year. I eventually became a pretty fair player, but 1970 had a steep baseball learning curve.

furyus

Here's my frame, a 1970 coaster Sting-Ray serial JF (September 1970). I bought it from a guy with a good rep for selling decent Schwinn bits. He said it came to him as a disc-brake equipped 5-speed Cotton Picker, and admitted it had been repainted. I suspect it was a clone, since every disc bike I've ever seen still had the caliper brake bracket for the rear brake, not the coaster fender brace like this one. The paint is white and seems more like a touch up than a total repaint, since some of the white seems deeper, and the deeper bits have "yellowed" if you know what I mean - it's old paint. More important to me is that it's a '70, and the white paint means I don't have to paint it myself. The frame came with steering head bearing cups and the Schwinn badge, and that's it.

furyus

Blackened1_zpse04aedc0.jpg

Blackened2_zps8e09407a.jpg

nice frame dude can't wait to see this come together!!

Troy

Some progress. At this rate I should be wrapping up mid-October. Power train first, then the fluff.

Mid-60's Schwinn S2 rim with a red band Bendix hub. The crank is a '66. The Schwinn bow pedals are vintage unknown, but they are reflector-free. The Sprint sprocket is actually the inner chain ring off a '66 Varsity - I kept the bolts and spacers that attached it to the outer chain ring. The rear tire is an authentic Carlisle Schwinn Slik dated November you-guessed-it 66. Brand new Wippermann Connex chain.

Nothing too crazy.

Thanks for peeking.

furyus

The Renaissance Man said:
Looking good. I love the slick and the chainring!

+1

kingfish254 said:
The Renaissance Man said:
Looking good. I love the slick and the chainring!

+1
Thanks, guys. Got a little more done...

Front fork is off a '77 Scrambler. The headset is a Tange MX2, straight from Japan. Not sure of the front wheel vintage, but is is an S7 with a script hub and matching '66 Westwind tire.

Seat clamp I believe is old school Schwinn BMX. I think the reflector is off a Spaceliner, and the reflector bracket was swiped from my nephews Chicom 16-incher.

A different view.

And a shameless plug.

Ride safe.

furyus

Take an old "Schwinn Approved Made in USA inner tube and a razor...

Cut some strips, thread 'em through the grip and then zip-tie 'em inside the grip...

And you've got some cool rubber streamers for an old beater bike.

Pretty nearly done at this point.

furyus

That's a way cool idea!

Latest posts

Back