Blackout... brighter pics. added... guess I made a hotrod and got mooned again

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
still mocking different things up, forgot I had this train light buried on the shelf may make the cut every round light just took away from showing the spring in the frontend head on and didn't look right overall with something else I have planned. I never like to start hacking till I get the right feeling on the complete look and then do it all at once and tape is my friend until then as I rarely sketch things out just go with the gut and hate doing things twice or more. bad pic should have hauled it outside

the seat will be extended 3" at least in the nose area and probably a little wider with a new pan with springs parallel to seat tube and a nose spring tucked in front of seat tube as I want the seat lower/bigger/back farther for the beefier look this bike has, another bad mockup but now I know where I am headed when I start cutting

bars are just clamped on and not what will be on there at least not totally, any bars I have tried have looked like dog poo.... raised bars are out.... dropped bars out.... but have a plan I think.

any bars I have tried have looked like dog poo.... raised bars are out.... dropped bars out.... but have a plan I think.

Try some flat bars similar to what I used for VerBoten, but maybe curved instead of squared. You can make some from an old school lawn/patio chair.

Hmm, maybe some yahmaharley style pull back bars.
I'm imagining what the forks would have had originally.

Carl.

Try some flat bars similar to what I used for VerBoten, but maybe curved instead of squared. You can make some from an old school lawn/patio chair.

Yeah I think the bars need to be flat also and with some pull back as the seat will be farther back also than normal

Yeah I think the bars need to be flat also and with some pull back as the seat will be farther back also than normal

I'm still on the lookout for one of these chairs for cheap. Most are the right diameter to use as handlebars.

11233_89a8b7f1fca06b8ef18c9ae7071feb34.jpg

sitting today looking at it, measuring, moving things around trying to make everything parallel in the rear flow with the rest of frame I realized the only way I can make one modification work I have to run the part of frame below tank parallel to ground and flow everything else off that which means with the new rear stays I need to make will draw the tire down about 1" (hence the wood under rear wheel) BB up about 3/16 and rim forward 1 1/8" or so but I new it had to go forward anyway with the modification, probably doesn't make any since right now but in a week or so it will unless someone guesses what I am doing before hand:21: (threw in a couple clues in some pics.:39: one has something that could diff. lead to a guess its a where's waldo) so now on to making up a frame jig of sorts and cut off the rear lower stays and bottom bracket as I think I have it figured out now. Once the rear of frame is back together I can start on chopping fenders and other stuff.
(sorry purists but cutting up a X53 frame but this is ratrod bikes:))

Last edited:
I'm still on the lookout for one of these chairs for cheap. Most are the right diameter to use as handlebars.

View attachment 53323
yeah, unfortunately, those chairs are prized possessions these days. Hard to find one for 'cheap'. But then again, your 'cheap' might be different than my 'cheap'. Cheep cheep. Cheep cheep.

well I messed up:headbang:and its holding up major progress. I was going to run a 7 speed Shimano hub with drum brake and realized this bike does not need all that as it will just be a slower cruiser. I have a Shimano 3 speed coaster hub on its way but its holding my progress up big time for cutting up and reconfiguring the backend some as I need it for the width. when it comes in I hope the local bike shop can get on it right away lacing into the triple step rim.
Here is a pic of my 79 Chevy that I did back in the day. I put it on TRM's thread what's in a name in the discussion area wore the name Blackout also. Having a hard time not ordering moons to put on this bike and blacking out:rolleyes:

While this will be all Blacked out as I new right away I decided on a 2 tone black some parts will be around maybe 70%ish gloss while other parts will be full gloss (my Black chrome) to separate details etc.

I seem to be stuck on trains lately with this thing being a beast

maybe some noticed this... I had it taped up in a earlier pic. was thinking adding a faux grill area going with the second fender mockup but what to make it out of that would be somewhat fast??

Hmmmm

just a quick cut/mockup up to see what it would look like.... some more detail and.....:39:

also planning out a custom handlebar stem ect. while waiting to get to the big cut.

Hmmmm

just a quick cut/mockup up to see what it would look like.... some more detail and.....:39:

also planning out a custom handlebar stem ect. while waiting to get to the big cut.

I love the idea of the faux grill! Your mockup pic didn't load though.

But DUDE!!!!, you gotta use the soup can!! I can tell you from experience, they make for a cool grill effect!!

index.php

SOUP FTW!

That one shows.
That could really work out well man!! I wonder if you cut out two big grill openings and had the soup grill mounted underneath? Just that little recess could really make it pop!
Hmmmmmm Hmmmmmm Good!!!!

That does look really cool, might have to stash that in the idea box.

That one shows.
That could really work out well man!! I wonder if you cut out two big grill openings and had the soup grill mounted underneath? Just that little recess could really make it pop!
Hmmmmmm Hmmmmmm Good!!!!
Brilliant, cut out the fender and mount it underneath. Why can't I think of some these sweet ideas?

Latest posts

Back