Blackout... brighter pics. added... guess I made a hotrod and got mooned again

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! That looks nice.

taking longer than I thought getting this rear wrapped up got the drive side dropout cut out and lower rear stay fit today messing with 3 diff. angles bending to fit shaft drive bracket/frame and stay to keep everything square, I decided to slot the lower rear stay and slide the drop out bracket in the slot and weld top and bottom instead of crimping around dropout... stronger? no idea but going that route, also added more material in corner for extra bracing. need to get a larger piece for drop out on non drive side as it needs to drop down farther and the crank on non drive side is going to be getting in my way of bottom stay so more designing there I guess :headbang:proving to be a challenge but my goal is to have frame done and fenders/braces cut and done and mounted (as both will have to be 2 piece to get tires on and off) by end of the coming weekend along with some other stuff, so back to it.

while waiting to get my piece of 10 gauge from my sheet metal guy (he's busy) so I can cut out the non drive dropout been messing with the front fender as it needs to be 2 piece and not a pain to remove so took a 2" piece of fender and bolted up to fork slotted the center of fenders to go around the fork nub rear of fender will slide in first then the front its a snug fit just be a seam under fork area, everything needs fine tuning yet but getting there.

will install/crimp one of these threaded inserts front and back in center lower brace so I can bolt front and rear fender pieces by the fork

been messing with different fender braces also and decided I wanted the front to have the same drop as frame below tank mocked up few different ones (flat/round ones) but came back to the heavy half round originals these things are 1/16 thick and don't flex so I had a beat bent up one for a test.... torch/hammer little twisting and 5 minute's later...

can also see a couple cuts where the og indents where for the fork cut /hammer/weld once braces are on and tops fit by fork can trim fenders accordingly.

Just curious, do need chain stays on the drive side?

need don't know? but I do not trust just the aluminum outer housing between BB and hub not very thick so going with my gut so my fat arz don't break it:rolleyes: I have seen pics. either way on bikes depends on manufacturer

Just caught up on so much of this, this is so cool, hacking up an X-53, converting to drive shaft, those fenders and that fork. I didn't think you could beat your last year's build, but you may blow it out of the water.

I got the non drive side dropout cut and lower stay fit and had to bring it outside and get farther away to check it out to see if I was happy with the look and stance before it got welded up just tacked right now. raising rear of frame just over a inch, moving the BB up about 3/8" to get everything parallel and the tire forward an inch for the shaft drive had some concern the rear would look short but am liking it

That is all lining up nicely.
I can't really tell that the frame was shortened any.

Yeah this just got wild. So where does one find a shaft drive to retrofit onto their bike? Inquiring minds want to know...

Carl.

Yeah this just got wild. So where does one find a shaft drive to retrofit onto their bike? Inquiring minds want to know...

Carl.

I bought this from the UK as it included the rear hub gear. I seen there is one from the US on ebay now but doesn't include the rear gear so pretty much useless, even what I bought is not a cut/weld/bolt on deal says works with nexus hubs but....... not so much IF you don't have the nexus made for it as I found out. I need to have a bronze bushing made to hold gear Ect. more on that later.... my advise and my hind sight if anyone does this pay more and buy a complete bike with the setup if you find one and cut it up to convert to a older bike. I will make it work but wish I could have found a complete bike at the time as what I was looking for originally to get the hub also to relace unto a older rim but at the time I could not find one (anybody have one stashed away?? convo me) as for the hub I have I can make it work with machined parts just needs some engineering. I will post details what it takes next time I have it disassembled.

I bought this from the UK as it included the rear hub gear. I seen there is one from the US on ebay now but doesn't include the rear gear so pretty much useless, even what I bought is not a cut/weld/bolt on deal says works with nexus hubs but....... not so much IF you don't have the nexus made for it as I found out. I need to have a bronze bushing made to hold gear Ect. more on that later.... my advise and my hind sight if anyone does this pay more and buy a complete bike with the setup if you find one and cut it up to convert to a older bike. I will make it work but wish I could have found a complete bike at the time as what I was looking for originally to get the hub also to relace unto a older rim but at the time I could not find one (anybody have one stashed away?? convo me) as for the hub I have I can make it work with machined parts just needs some engineering. I will post details what it takes next time I have it disassembled.
Fleet Farm, which is a company based in Wisconsin and found in WI and Minnesota, possibly Iowa, sells bikes with a shaft drive in their 'Sporting Goods' department. Turn right at the shotgun case, then a hard left at the fly rods, bear a slight right at the boat cushions and you are there....

oddjob don't see them on there website, dr. t one I had considered but were not available at the time though. I did however find a hub today single speed no coaster brake but have it coming as a back up figured could always run a front drum brake if need be as this will be just a slower cruiser..
on another note I am getting Way behind as I have lost the last 4 days not being able to work on this as wasps have invaded my garage :mad: and I am allergic to them and they are building a nest I think inside one of my florescent lights going in from the top they are aggressive **** things, exterminator is finally coming in the morning.

needed to extend the rear of fender about 6" so did multiple cuts and just a quick double bend with a pliers so when its welded will be even

all the bars I have that I tried I have not liked so I hauled out big bertha and did a quick test bend and liking this so guess I will be building bars also.... will be flat and long pull

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back