Blu

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my entry, its my first ever try at building a Rat Rod. Ive been into rebuilding old bikes for about three years now, and even got my dad started on them. My dad and I rebuilt bikes but I never built one alone before. When I saw the build off, I seized the opertunity and asked my dad if I could build a bike alone. He said It'd be a good experience for me. So I went into my "Orfanage of bicycles" and found me a old boys straitbar and brought it over to the garage. I had got this bike at an auction a couple months back, but I had no idea it was in as bad of shape as it was until I started taking it apart. The head badge was gone off the bike, It was missing a peddel, it had been repainted at one time, Both Heavy Weight wheels had really loose spokes and couldnt be used without replacing the spokes. The rear wheel sprocket had a broken tooth too.Where the seat tube of the frame attaches to the crank housing it had been rewelded. I think all-in-all it was a fairly early frame.The bike had a standard sprocket (non skiplink), but it had rear facing dropouts, and a really skinny seatpost. I started work by disasembaly and sanding down all parts that were going to be painted. Then came primering, sanding on the primer to get it smooth, then painting.The reason I named the project Blu was because, as soon as I painted it blue, my little sister came into the garage. Shes a big fan of the TV show "Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends" and the main Character is a Blue guy named Blu. As soon as she came into the garage she yells, "It looks like Blu"! So blue was born.I gave the tank a two-tone paint job and, later I attached a late 50's schwinn tank, which was hard because of the lack of space on the straight bar design. Later I attached the crank and sprocket. So far ther is a total of 29 acorn nuts on the bike,I basically put them any where they fit. :lol: Ive also still got to touch up a few spots.
ratrod001.jpg

ratrod002.jpg

rat001.jpg

two thumbs up!

Kudos to you and a job well done! Taking pride in your work is trait that many only give half an effort. It looks like you are extremely proud of a job well done! Now Git R Done! and don't forget to post the pics when she's on the road!

Joe

Re: Blu (done)

Well shes finally done. The frame is a late 40's or early 50's Hiawatha.The origal parts on this bike are few...but they are the crank and sprocket,and the handlebars.This bike was in bad shape when I got it so its done mostly in schwinn parts (you cant beat the quality). The tank is a late 50's schwinn tank. The rims are schwinn S2's with a very large and unusual rear rim. The forks are schwinn along with a pair of pre ww2 girls hiawatha truss rods.I had to design a special cantileiver to make the truss rods work. The fenders are the originals but have two inches cut off each side.
rat009-1.jpg

rat015.jpg

rat013.jpg

rat012.jpg

Bike is awesome! Great job. Bluewalls are way off the hook!

Latest posts

Back