Blue Bomber clunker begins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up the starter bike for the clunker project. I'm calling it the blue bomber since I'll end up painting it Rustoleum Sail Blue. I've always wanted a blue mountain bike, so this will be it. It's a mid 80's murray cranbrook, and has a brand new rear wheel. The customer abandoned it at the LBS, so I paid for the wheel, and got the bike for free!

Before, as I got it:
before.jpg

not a bad clunker, really, but I can't leave well enough alone, so I added a flat bar, 2.3 Tioga front tire and 2.4 WTB rear tire, longer seat post and a Terry Fly saddle. So far the saddle is worth more than the entire bike!!

after1.jpg

after2.jpg

It rides pretty well around the driveway, but I worry about the strength of the seatpost and pedals when I hit the trails. Because I WILL ride it on our normal trails, which get pretty technical.

last shot for now. Picked up some Odyssey BMX grips that are pretty close to the blue paint color. Still needs paint, wheel work, small chainring, and some other stuff.
grips.jpg

Lookin' good so far! I've got a '51 columbia frame on the way to me that I'm thinking of clunkerizing. Keep us posted on your build!

Dennis

Latest posts

Back