BO15 Blue Bomber Curbhopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck figuring out the FD. I can't offer up much help in that realm. All of the goodies are looking good on the bike though. I'm sure you'll figure out the problem.

Ugh derailleurs... It's why my RockRat has been sidelined for months. Among other things. Some have suggested that certain types of shifters don't like cooperating with certain derailleurs. Others have suggested single speed. Good luck

Yeah. An easy alternative would be leave it on the middle ring and have a nice 8-spd.

I’ll also take a look at the chainline. Now that I think about it, this is not the original BB, and at one point in time I ran this bike with a road triple (50t big ring) when I used it as a commuter. In the rested and coffee-fueled morning, I wonder if I put in a longer spindle and moved the chainline out. I’ll take a look later.

Happy Father’s day to all the dad’s out there!

Took it all apart. BB is 113mm, road BB 118, so that wasn’t the problem. With the 52-xx-xx road set on (with the 113 spindle) shifting is not a problem. Put the Specialized/Surly set on, no-go. Checked and the large ring is 5mm farther out than the road set.

Hmmm. :39:

Doesn’t make sense to me unless the original BB was a 108mm spindle. Not the same BCD so I can’t just swap the chainrings. Maybe I’ll look for a 108 BB spindle, or just keep the road triple.
(doesn’t look as cool though, and the Surly rings cost a penny)

1D9FC426-86D9-47DE-BD93-2F3FFC6066E0.jpeg

Gearing sorted for now, and brakes adjusted, it was time to go for a first ride. Man, the 52-11 gearing combo is for highway speeds!

DC90EF43-D172-46C7-BFB2-00275EBA85D6.jpeg
3AF35263-BFC8-4437-BBF1-B0531AAFCA69.jpeg
C03644A9-24A5-4AE0-892B-71E4830FE509.jpeg

Still some adjustments to make here and there, the brake pads screech like an owl (never have I ever had quiet rim brakes, but these take the cake,) still planning a different saddle, get the tail light on and power to both, not to mention miscellaneous bling and do-dad-ery.

On the middle school girl brake squeal, make sure you have those arms on the cantis as close to symmetrical as possible. Then, toe in the front of the brake pads so they hit first on the front half of the pad and then pull in to flush with increase pull on the lever. Those red pads are really sticky, so if they aren't hitting at the same time, they will squeal. I also rub Isopropyl alcohol on the rim braking surface to get any foreign material off.

Looks like you're using thumbies for shifters, can you set the front der shifter to friction? You shouldn't have any trouble hitting all the rings then.

On the middle school girl brake squeal, make sure you have those arms on the cantis as close to symmetrical as possible. Then, toe in the front of the brake pads so they hit first on the front half of the pad and then pull in to flush with increase pull on the lever. Those red pads are really sticky, so if they aren't hitting at the same time, they will squeal. I also rub Isopropyl alcohol on the rim braking surface to get any foreign material off.

Looks like you're using thumbies for shifters, can you set the front der shifter to friction? You shouldn't have any trouble hitting all the rings then.
For the brakes, thanks, yeah, I’ll look at adjustment more. Plus, they’re old and glazed, so I should sand them a bit, or for $9/ pair maybe just get a new set.

The issue with the shifter is the physical limitation of the derailleur. I can actuate it to it’s limit (with the limit screw fully out) and it’s not enough.

I’ll get there eventually.

Special ... Blue Bomber Curbhopper
(name change)
5B2E833D-E3AE-4AE5-AA28-248D62638891.jpeg

Received the decals from doityouselflettering.com
They look just like the preview on the order, shipped the day after I ordered (in the afternoon.) Applied as easily as they said.

Look fantastic!
C265D745-1F93-43DC-97BB-2B06CEEDC0A6.jpeg
8611772F-F2CF-4CCA-8C03-3D1CC3C90E28.jpeg
BAAFF998-85D0-4697-8E3C-80FE3497C2A6.jpeg
EEEF9692-E3E5-4D30-80A6-4B06BDD6711F.jpeg
579260C7-1246-4034-A2EB-56D86DBF147E.jpeg

I’m checking that site, what font did you select for the Curbhopper bit and how did you get no background squares, the site isn’t the most intuitive on my phone, maybe it’s better on a PC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curbhopper was "Magneto" font. The background is selectable, just so you can get good contrast with the letters or see how it might look with your color (options are limited) but yes, much easier on the computer. I suggest setting your text & size, going through all the color/border/shadow options, then going back to the font selection to really see how the different fonts look with the colors/border/shadow filled out. On the computer, as well, there is an advanced editor of sorts where you can insert simple shapes. Of course, you can also do more intricate and custom stuff, but I didn't get into that.

Also, I only have one small wrinkle in the first one I applied (the P of Specialized in the photo close up with the applicator layer still on, if you can notice at all. Was able to work it out). I realized their instructions were for a flat surface, and found it best to:
1. test the fit,
2. peel the backer,
3. holding the ends in the middle, apply to the center of the tube,
4. press from the center out, working up, then center out working down around the tube,
5. peel the applicator layer.
The last three went on perfect.

Curbhopper was "Magneto" font. The background is selectable, just so you can get good contrast with the letters or see how it might look with your color (options are limited) but yes, much easier on the computer. I suggest setting your text & size, going through all the color/border/shadow options, then going back to the font selection to really see how the different fonts look with the colors/border/shadow filled out. On the computer, as well, there is an advanced editor of sorts where you can insert simple shapes. Of course, you can also do more intricate and custom stuff, but I didn't get into that.

Thanks. Made it super simple

Nice work John! I like your font selection , and color combo. Looks like a real model name that The Big S might have used back in the day!

Man, those decals look awesome on that blue. The black shaded 3D effect of the lettering really makes it pop out on there.

Today I installed the new BB. Two sizing changes: my others were 68 while the bike’s shell is 73, so I did that; and spindle length down to 107mm from 113 or 118.
47297832-BF62-4A8F-BBED-C4AA039544E4.jpeg
2264F592-7E38-4D0C-9661-3B9775288380.jpeg

And it works! I can use the SS Surly chainrings with the original Specialized crank arms and shift just fine.

Also (not pictured) I installed a new set of brake pads and took the time to adjust them properly, per @OddJob ’s advice, and they work wonderfully and quiet.

Latest posts

Back