BMX Pad Question?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Does anyone know the time period of these pads? Are they newer or vintage?

P3270267.jpg

Vintage 80s, I think those are Western Flyer, and if they are, they are HENS TEETH RARE! Leeme check my ads and catalogs (what few I was able to find). I can tell you the models there were for and what years!

Yup, late 80's :wink: I know because I had one like that on my 1989 Kabuki :D

partsguy said:
Vintage 80s, I think those are Western Flyer, and if they are, they are HENS TEETH RARE! Leeme check my ads and catalogs (what few I was able to find). I can tell you the models there were for and what years!
Please do that! That would be great!

I looked through, and the farthest I go back is 1978. '78 and '79 model years had the "Hard Tail" line. Then, 1980 saw the introduction of the "Invader" series. I am missing '81 and '82, but in 1983, there was an Invader 2 and Invader 3 introduced. The original Invader had been phased out somewhere in '81 and '82. Best info I can give with my missing puzzle pieces is that these are 1981-1982 Western Flyer Invader pads. 1980 Invaders sold for $94.99 while magwheel version sold for $149.99. However, 1980 Invaders do not show any pads.

The original Invader was brought back for 1985 though, and it had similar pads, but not quite the same. It sold for $99.99

I am missing '86-'93 so any ideas how long the reintro of this model lasted is uncertain. Due to Western Auto going under in 2001, and starting to suffer in the 1990s, it is understandable that later-model Western Flyers are not so easy to find. I have a Wildcat myself in my mom's attic and it is built between '86 and '93. I'm pushing towards the latter because in '94, they use similar retro headbadges on their bikes, which mine has.

As a side note, I do believe that a handful, very rare, but a handful of the associate, mom-and-pop owned stores are still in business down in the South. They have had to find other sources for stock though. I have seen pics and stories of these stores, how much truth there is to this, I don't know.

Latest posts

Back