Board Ratter (Rusty)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Schwinn DX (Rusty)

I like where you're going with this. Pretty good for a first time build, and great job on the seat as well!

Re: Prewar Schwinn DX (Rusty)

Bluemustang21 said:
This is how it was when I bought it. The tires held air and I rode her home.

photo2copy_zpsd9ecdcd6.jpg

Now I know what type of vintage bike my Madwagon retro cruiser was apparently based on.... cool frame!

3Eb3If3pe5Gc5M55J3ccm7c73c74a42901b1d_zpsa51d0560.jpg

Post-war bikes had forward facing dropouts, welded on kickstands, removable seat clamps, and tabs for the chainguard to bolt to. 1946 had a tapered kickstand.
The crank may be date coded on this bike if it's original.

Im going for a ratty/ board tracker sort of look, so I am starting to mess with the stance of my schwinn. I'm gonna fab up a set of brackets that will work as a replacement at the bottom of my springer.

image_zps7ee3b00a.jpg

I really want to get my bike lower and longer. And this seemed like a simple solution.

image_zpsb41cc9cb.jpg

I want to make sure that the top of the tire sits nice in the fork.

image_zps09844690.jpg

image_zpsaaf0311b.jpg

image_zpsc6a29511.jpg

The bracket above the axle is the bracket I'm going to use to mount my headlights

Nice idea with the Monark rockers!

you should fab up some extras to sell
might be a popular item especially with having a rolling example

But I got the plates fabbed up. They just need a bit of paint. They're a bit too new to match the rest of the bike.

image_zps4108c0a6.jpg

image_zpsff6b7845.jpg

image_zps9868de12.jpg

I also got a chain guard I ordered today. It's off of some jawa moped or motorcycle. What's awesome is that it covers the chain entirely except for right at the rear cog, even on the other side of the chainring. The bad is that it will definitely need some heavy modification to fit.

image_zps1df6aa00.jpg

image_zps16f2d02c.jpg

Idk. I might decide just to use the top half. Proportionately it may just look better. It's just hard to judge because the whole chain guard is oversized as It is. Ill just have to mess around in photoshop to figure it out.

image_zps7aadb4d3.jpg

Let me know what you all think.

I also ordered another set of bars that I think will suit the look I'm going for.

image_zpse9faa870.jpg

MONARKofSoCal said:
you should fab up some extras to sell
might be a popular item especially with having a rolling example

Yea suppose I could but it was too much effort for how little I'd probably get out of it.

Looking good so far :wink: I like the brackets you made up, gives the bike a better stance :D

I would go with no guard or a Columbia guard if you want to cover a lot up :idea:

I'm a little concerned about the angle of the dropouts on your fabbed bracket. Spring compression would compress it to below horizontal which would put downward force on it below the point of rotation and want to pull it out of place.

kim_dude said:
I'm a little concerned about the angle of the dropouts on your fabbed bracket. Spring compression would compress it to below horizontal which would put downward force on it below the point of rotation and want to pull it out of place.

I see what you're saying, the dropouts actually have a slight notch for the axle to nest into and I've got the spring basically fixed. Im hoping that takes care of it. Fully compressed the tire rubs the fork anyway. I've ridin with the brackets about 20 miles and no issues yet. (Fingers crossed) I think it'll take a pretty gnarly pot hole to kill em.

Latest posts

Back