Board tracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a lot of browsing on this board and others, I've finally started a boardtrack racer myself.

I live in Holland, which basically means I can't get it road legal. Besides the obvious downside, there's also an upside. Tossing the idea of driving it on the public roads opens up possibilities regarding engines, tuning, speeds and looks. This will be a bike that is fully functional but does not have to be a perfect daily driver. I don't have a clear view of what I want when it's finished, but I hope to include some café racer themes while keeping the low set back geometry of a boardtracker.

A week ago or so I picked up a frame, fork and some associated goods from a nice gentleman who also reads this board. A 1965 Schwinn Panther with a springer fork. The paint is terrible and will be removed to be repainted. There's a dent or two in the frame (nothing serious) that will be filled in the process.

1%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

Rough idea.
8%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

See all the pictures here.

Picking up a donor moped soon for the motor and possibly some other things. It will probably be or become a tuned 70cc Puch. Mainly because they are cheap (About $100-150 USD for running, working ones without a license plate), reliable, fast and most importantly there's a ton of knowledge and parts available. I'm thinking of using a MTB disc hub in the rear and attaching a sprocket to that, it just seems like the best solution from an engineering point of view. No idea where the brakes will go though if I go that route. I have zero experience with engines or anything that has one in it, but decent experience with bicycles so I'll be asking a lot of questions that are drive train related. :p

I have no idea how long I'll be working on this one, but I'm taking my time and going slowly. Any help or ideas from you lot are highly appreciated! :)

Tibor said:
cool project ... im looking forward for the build up... the fork is extremly cool!

Thanks, I thought the fork was much newer than the frame but I just found out that it's from around 1950 thanks to this board. Chrome looks good on it too. I have little knowledge of very old bikes, so if anyone sees me ruining rare parts please stop me if you can. :D

Hello and welcome, I will be using the same style fork on my build. I picked this bike up reasonable The fort is bent I have it about 95% straightened I will have to cut the tube down after that. I am looking forward to fallowing your build
[im
post.jpg
g[/img]

Thanks guys.

kcjim78 said:
Hello and welcome, I will be using the same style fork on my build. I picked this bike up reasonable The fort is bent I have it about 95% straightened I will have to cut the tube down after that. I am looking forward to fallowing your build

Beautiful bike! Must be like the one my fork came off, the man I bought it from said it came from a womens bike.

cobrafreak said:
There is something really cool about a bike enthusiast in Holland using an American frame! Looks cool. Keep us posted.

Lots and lots and lots of bikes around here, take a short walk and you'll find multiple discarded bikes here in The Hague that can be hacked up for project bikes, but almost no really cool cruiser frames like the Schwinn.
Maybe we can set up some sort of trade system? Common bikes from the US that are rare here for common bikes here that are rare in the US? :D

Powerrrr!
It's a Puch Maxi Macho Rider.

10%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

The girlfriend did not like it when I started it in the kitchen. The cat did though. :roll:

11%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

13%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

All images here.

The engine provides power to the lights as well, could be cool to use.

Has anyone here laced moped hubs to bike rims? The brakes work very well, and it would save me from having to mess around with cogs on the rear wheel. I'll just have to make the hub work as a bike as well, but that can't be hard since some of these Puch's can be ridden as bicycles as well.

iamrik said:
Engine!

14%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

:D

Does anyone know if it's a particularly bad idea to run an engine under a different angle than stock? Aside from carburettor issues.
if its two stroke it should be fine

Nice man! Will you be taking to the streets on this one? If so, are you going to use the puch's identity for the license?
Cause i was thinking of doing something similar for my boardtracker. I'd use the id of something a little less common here in the Netherlands though.

iamrik said:
Has anyone here laced moped hubs to bike rims? The brakes work very well, and it would save me from having to mess around with cogs on the rear wheel. I'll just have to make the hub work as a bike as well, but that can't be hard since some of these Puch's can be ridden as bicycles as well.

First off, this looks like it's going to be fantastic!

If the moped hub has the same number of spokes as the bicycle wheel (probably 36) then it's doable. If you've never built a wheel before, you might want to bring it to someone who knows how.

cobrafreak said:
flat sided like on the old Harleys.

Not a bad idea!

Hoeha said:
Nice man! Will you be taking to the streets on this one? If so, are you going to use the puch's identity for the license?
Cause i was thinking of doing something similar for my boardtracker. I'd use the id of something a little less common here in the Netherlands though.

No, not taking it to the streets, at least, not with a license plate. I'll just mess around with it on empty streets away from people (/ the law). I've spoken to the RDW and getting it registered is virtually impossible. Good thing, 45km/h is a bit slow. :)

Using a different plate and serial number, that's not exactly legal is it? :D

FunkyStickman said:
iamrik said:

First off, this looks like it's going to be fantastic!

If the moped hub has the same number of spokes as the bicycle wheel (probably 36) then it's doable. If you've never built a wheel before, you might want to bring it to someone who knows how.

Yes, the hubs use 36 spokes. I haven't built a laced a wheel before, but have trued many. I should learn sometime. :)
My biggest worry is the spacing of the hubs, they are too wide for the frame and while steel bends... not sure how far.

When I made my Indian and then registered it at the DMV for a plate, they wanted the VIN#, so I made one up with my initials, and a series of numbers and letters. It worked. My insurance company has the same info. I made a brass VIN tag with letter and number stamps that I got at the tool store, and attached it to the frame. So if you are making a new vehicle, create a new number. Or, if you have a tag already on the old Puch, copy the vin number or cut it off and transfer it to the new bike. As far as they will know it is the same Puch, but highly customized.

Alas, customizing mopeds isn't legal either and goes in hand with massive fines here.
In order for me to get a plate for it, I need to submit CAD files of the frame now, which they will test for moped use. After they've given me the OK (which I won't get... the bicycle frame just isn't built for a motor) to build, I have to submit it for complete testing when it's finished. That includes brake lights, blinkers, working speedometer, etc. :(
All in all, it costs around 400 euro, or 550 USD just to get it registered so long as I meet all their requirements which I can't.

Not that I say that other people shouldn't do it. :mrgreen: I'm just ok with it sitting pretty in my living room and taking it out once in a while to mess about in industrial areas.

I met a woman who used to live in the Netherlands. Once, her family put in for a building permit to extend onto their house, some 10 feet. They were d e n i e d. Shortly after, the father started preparations to move his family to the States.

They made it, because I met her here, in the States.

You live under tyranny. Tell Queen Beatrice I said "Hi".

Latest posts

Back