BoilerMaker- my 2nd Tall bike updated 8/07

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a ratrod bike forum and not really a tall bike forum, but I made this one out of old rat rod bikes so I figured what the hay. I thought I had come up with a new bike idea but as is with most things, its been done before. They call this style "Penny Fake Thing" and theres a few on that U tube video site. I spent one weekend building and used nothing but leftover scrap. I have no money in this one either.
tess91.jpg
tess81.jpg
tess9.jpg
tess8.jpg

Re: BoilerMaker

Very Cool!! That tall bike bug has an infectious bite, doesn't it? How does she ride?

Can we get riding pics ot a video :shock: This is cool, I keep looking at it :lol:

danreid27 said:
TommyTwoTime said:
danreid27 said:
I'd name it.. "Death Trap" :roll:
Make your own bike and you can call it whatever you want! :wink:

Like I said..

Safety First is my motto...Peace..out.
Ehhhh....Huh! Yeah wouldn't want to scrape up a knee or something.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Can we get riding pics ot a video :shock: This is cool, I keep looking at it :lol:
Tried riding it this weekend...fell 3 or 4 times then gave up after the seat flipped back. At my mid 40's I can only take so many falls per day. I think the seat needs welded in place and its just too flippin hot to fire up the welder. I got brakes hooked up though. I think I may need to lower the handlebars a bit, I kept having trouble getting my legs through. Also the suicide step is at a great height for pushing off but not hi enough to get up on the seat, so I might add another pedal a little higher. This bike is still kinda experimental for me so it'll take a few adjustments till I get it comfortable.
Jimmybug: The seat is 49 in. off the ground. You guys can see video's of this style bike on youtube. search (penny fake thing) I discovered vids after I came up with my original (I thought) idea. Seems folks have been doing this style for years. Search Johnny Payphone, he's done alot of this style with his club the "Rat Patrol"

carvingbike said:
Very Cool!! That tall bike bug has a infectious bite, doesn't it? How does she ride?
Thanks! Yeah Im addicted! My other bikes are starting to get jealous of the High Horse. I keep noticing strange bruizes on it, must be getting beat up at night.

Hey Tommy, don't worry about falling down and scraping a knee or arm, The FBM-GL has first responders, paremedics and even a guy who once played a doctor in a high school play! :lol:
Besides Gigs has crashed enough to know how to fix anything!
Those who ride FreakBikes do, those who can't, find excuses! :mrgreen:

So I made the improvements that I think will make it easier to get on and ride. I lowered the handlebars about 3 inches and brought them about 2 in. closer to the seat. I also added another step to get me up a little higher. Hopefully I'll get some time to try it out soon.
boilrmkr5.jpg
boilrmkr1.jpg

Re: BoilerMaker- my 2nd Tall bike

i doubt youll need to worry about lockin this one up outside the market. :lol: itll be there waitin for ya! looks like a real challenge. so are your hands down by your butt and behind you? that seems like it would be the hardest part to get the hang of. how bout for when you have to bail? do you just jump forward over the front tire? i have a two 26'' stacked frame tall bike and sometime you have to bail when the little old lady pops out from around the corner. :shock:

It actually steers more with your feet. Ive seen alot of guys go no handed on this style of bike with no problem. The handlebars are just a mount for the brake lever and shifter and something to hang on to while getting on. Bailing out? I dunno yet. Most people including cars get out of my way when Im on my other tallbike. Im sure I'll find out eventually.

OK not getting the hang of this thing so no sense in keeping around a non rider. I think I'll just crush it an start over. :? Not! I stared at it for a week and decided to just chop off the apes. I just cant get over the letting go of the handlebars to get on thing. Also cut the seat off and the steering tube just had to much flex under my weight, so it hadda go too. Heres the new steer tube.
boilrmkr7.jpg

Unfortunately I had to throw twenty bucks at this thing for some steel tube to make a new neck tube. Lucky for me I'll have extra around cause I only used about six dollars worth. Got the seatpost done and welded on and I used the old apes to start making new bars.
boilrmkr9.jpg

Latest posts

Back