"Bored" Tracker (Rusty Love)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

just got bored and started, nothing much! just a huffy frame with parts i stole off bikes setting around. goal is to put a engine on it and ride in to Gilmore's with a buddy for the RELIX RIOT show.

http://gilmorecarmuseum.org/html/event_ ... ent_id=24&

utf-8BSU1HMDAxODEuanBn.jpg

Re: "Bored" Tracker

the day has arrived to go get my engine!!! :D

if the cables are long enough i may just roll it with the apes but still up it the air...

rustylove.jpg

i have also settled on a name.... Rusty Love...

sorry if someone else has used it before but i do have some rusty love and it fits. :mrgreen:

GRRRRRR!!!! every bit of it is fighting me :x

this may go a different direction....

to be continued.........

Upper Class White Trash said:
GRRRRRR!!!! every bit of it is fighting me :x

this may go a different direction....

to be continued.........

What you having trouble with? I've done a few of the engine kits and they can be a pain

let us now if we can help man !!! love to see that bike get motorized :D

update

apes are to tall for clutch cable so Rusty Love will be a short and stocky.

problems i was having were my own doing!! had to step back and gather my thoughts.

not happy with how the stock tanks look so i am
either going to make a tank to fit in the frame or use a WCC tank i have.

still installing bits and pieces..............

maiden voyage went well but forgot to put the backer and clip for the master link on the bike chain :oops:

during my ride look down to see how everything was going,

the bike chain was wrapped around the wheel sprocket and dragging the ground :shock:

limped it home hoping that it wouldn't lock up and i didn't have to stop

so then i spent 30 mins walking over the route i rode for the master link!! i found it 8)

rest of today *weather permitting* will be "test and tunning" that is code for killing bugs at a good clip : :mrgreen:
utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjcuanBn.jpg

update

WOW !!! while i was riding WFO the bike was vibrating so bad
that it foamed the gas in the tank and it sprayed me out of the vent,
drive chain was rubbing my tire and hands and other things went numb quick.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjguanBn.jpg

fixed chain, added thick rubber hose pieces under gas tank/engine mounts.
that cut vibration by a 1/3 if not 1/2.

who would of thought having a little fun would be so hard :mrgreen:

biggest tip i can give you about these kits is

take every nut and bolt with you to the store and
get some good grade replacements because you will strip or break
most if not every one of the second rate hardware they come with!! :x

biggest tip i can give you about these kits is

take every nut and blot with you to the store and
get some good grade replacements because you will strip or break
most if not every one of the second rate hardware they come with!! :x
Good advice, they do give cheap bolts. Another thing is take the chain tensioner they give you and throw it away, they have MUCH better ones on e-bay. The one I got broke before the first ride! The engines aren't bad but the "Accessories" or "freebies" are junk.

update

its been running well, still breaking it in.

thinking after we ride it to Gilmore i may take the engine off rusty love and put it on a 20" frame..

i miss having my peddle bike!!

keep you posted...

update

its been running well, still breaking it in.

thinking after we ride it to Gilmore i may take the engine off rusty love and put it on a 20" frame..

i miss having my peddle bike!!

keep you posted...

Trust me you'll have a load of problems putting it on a 20" bike, I put one on a brats lowrider bike. Had to drill through the frame to mount the throttle cable, had to shave a bit off the air cleaner to make it fit, just problems all around. and you think it vibrates now? try that on a 20". Every bump you will feel it. other than those things it was a blast to ride.

ha ha funny that is the 20" frame i have :mrgreen:

i fitted it on the 20 after not finding any pics of one.(found some after i took engine off rusty love and fitted it on the 20 :roll: )
i would like to find a older 20" cantilever but if i have to i will weld in a filler piece for the front tube to make up the difference on the brat bike. as far as the intake/carb goes i seen that would be an issue. i would just fab up a intake that was straight instead of using the stock one.

if i do a 20 i could have apes without the clutch being to short, the engine fits the size of the frame better,
i'd get rusty love back as a peddle bike and my 8yr old daughter could ride the 20 also...

we will see....

UPDATE

well today the engine finally woke up!! :D

i did 20 or so miles and about half way through the trip it came alive

for about 2 seconds i thought... should old rusty parts go this fast!?!?

then threw caution to the wind and let it run. don't know top speed but when i looked back
for traffic a tear flew off my cheek from my eyes watering and i was wearing sunglasses 8)

if i had to guess i'd say mid 30s.

and don't you worry if and/or when i crash i'll post pics of my mangled bike and roadrash :mrgreen:

update

well after some time my buddy and i finally got together to do some riding.

we did 20+ he was having some power loss issues at high revs.
would start to cut out then he would have to cycle the throttle to gain power again.
wasn't till last little leg of trip before i figured out what it was.

i wanted to see what notch the clip for the needle was on and found the needle upside down :shock:
asked how was it even working!?!?!? power loss was when needle vibrated and fell back down
choking out fuel flow and as he cycled the throttle it picked up the needle and gained power till
it happened again..

after flipping it right side up it smoothed out idle and ran strong!! go figure :mrgreen:

here is his baby.
utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjAuanBn.jpg

this is the route we are looking to take
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...&sspn=0.191265,0.296974&ie=UTF8&z=12&lci=bike

update

changed plug, cap and needle setting and it made a world of difference!! better idle, smoother mid range and top end was strong.

still no speedo so can't give you gains in numbers but for 7 bucks for the plug,cap and no cost changing needle setting.
it was a good buy and time spent changing needle.

AAAAAAAHAHAHA!!
well guess now that i got it out of the way, only crashing is left to do because

i ran out of gas today and had to walk a mile or better to get to the gas station :oops:

thankful that they had 2 cycle oil or it would have been more like 5 miles

and if you wonder...... it was 2.98 for the gas/oil OTD for many more miles of fun...

so since i got the kit the gas cap has leaked as low as 1/3 of a tank and worse if it 's more then 1/3 at high speeds..

so today i was taking a trip around town and after running out of gas the other day
i wanted to fill it up so as not to be pushing again. so i was racking my brain for a fix,

well i was looking and wasn't coming up with any quick fix so i could roll out and then thought
i wonder if the old puch cap will fit!?!?! DING! DING! DING! WINNER!!!!!

fits awesome!!!!! still seeps a little when i ride it like i stole it and dipping low through the corners but waaaaay better then the stock one.

plus it is so purdy!!!!
P9150089.jpg

Latest posts

Back