Born Again Hawthorne - A Rider it is

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I test fit the rack. I lengthened the frame mounting bracket as compared to how the bracket was set when I got the bike. To me it looks better setting closer to level and it isn't resting on the fender now. The rack might be a keeper now with the rat rod light.
10075a3d756d7801a78e5507fda0ac95.jpg

56e31080e55b0a656d07be4bc16a7340.jpg

6412d7ce9953280794686147e6dcf65b.jpg

2d0f0e3099ac373b02eab9814dd5906e.jpg

d7ba3fbe63c467ab803adcb54be7cd9f.jpg

I'm still amazed at what you might find under years of dirt and rust...this bike is older than me and I'm older than dirt.
It's funny but every connection nut and bolt on this bike appears to have been lubricated over the years whether it was suppose to move or not. Just need a tank now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Love the seat man!
Have you sat on it yet?

Love the seat man!
Have you sat on it yet?

I finished cleaning the undercarriage today, steel wool, wire brush, WD40, buff, boiled linseed oil and buff. I'll probably put it back together on Monday and see if it survives my weight test.
I have lost 30 pounds over 60 days with WW and increased activity. I do have a backup plan, but it's pricey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Level rack is ok, I think parallel to the seat stays is better. But I think it looks like it almost is anyway, maybe just a tweak on the front mount. I do like the frame color, is the rack gonna get color matched?

Carl.

I hope the pricey backup plan is for the seat rather than weight loss.
30# in 60 days is good progress. And congrats on that.
+1 on the dropped mass! I'm 4 lbs in to a 20 lb goal to get me back to my race weight for the first time since 2000. It's tough! I've got a friend that's closing in on 40 lb lost on WW. Seems like it worked for you too. Congrats!

Level rack is ok, I think parallel to the seat stays is better. But I think it looks like it almost is anyway, maybe just a tweak on the front mount. I do like the frame color, is the rack gonna get color matched?

Carl.
I was wondering about the rack color too, Carl. I think it might tie in more closely once that saddle gets back on there. Maybe a match to the darts and tips color would be cool....

I hope the pricey backup plan is for the seat rather than weight loss.
30# in 60 days is good progress. And congrats on that.
Yah, backup plan is for saddle. Thanks.
My DR basically asked how many pills do want to take or how long do you want live. Its mind blowing seeing what you have been eating without thinking about its effect on your body. I've been a big Coke drinker, a beer is around half as many points.
+1 on the dropped mass! I'm 4 lbs in to a 20 lb goal to get me back to my race weight for the first time since 2000. It's tough! I've got a friend that's closing in on 40 lb lost on WW. Seems like it worked for you too. Congrats!
Thanks!
I've made several other attempts at losing weight. WW plan seems to give a direction and disciplined approach. It suits me since I like to see things finished as well as they can be. Comes from years as an educator and architectural designer.

Carl.
I noticed that "stay" thing when putting it on, but at the moment I was going for level. There are two bolts and multiple holes at front for mounting, probably one hole change would help the to even the braces.
Color wise my plan has been no paint on this bike. The rack was probably an accessory originally. Color would help tie it together, but mismatched equals "rat" so I'm not sure.
I was wondering about the rack color too, Carl. I think it might tie in more closely once that saddle gets back on there. Maybe a match to the darts and tips color would be cool....
I'm not sure about "colorification" on this one as stated above. Again my original thought was no new paint on this bike, just a few new bits. Th black rack has it's share of real rust. The horn had a black body.
The remaining paint on the rack has more shine than the bike so that leads me to believe it was an add on. It would be interesting to find a catalog cut on the rack and what it had for a light/lens originally.

Looking really good...you putting the guard back on?
Thanks! Yes the guard is slated to back on. When I get a test ride in to see if things are going to work OK, I'll get the guard back on

Great job on this bike so far!
Love the taillight (filing that under 'ideas to steal').
I like the idea of moving the headlights up, moving them up will stiffen them too, less movement with a shorter bracket.

Awesome to hear about the weight loss too, keep going!

Black goes with any color.
Unless it was green or blue etc. I wouldn't touch it. However, I would consider changing the pedal blocks to black.
Black is OG.
I'd been thinking about the blocks...I think the pedals are Torrington's, I have a set of black ones with "Persons" markings. Mismatch again equals "rat". The red ones do look rather pink.
a606de85fb54f36b2c637bb9d41c35d3.jpg

Last edited:
Great job on this bike so far!
Love the taillight (filing that under 'ideas to steal').
I like the idea of moving the headlights up, moving them up will stiffen them too, less movement with a shorter bracket.
Awesome to hear about the weight loss too, keep going!
Hey thanks! I find satisfaction in finding ways to repurpose things I guess that's one of the things that draws me to rat rod bikes, and cheaper than cars/trucks. Steal away!
I agree the lights look better closer to the bars. The bracket is part of a Pletcher rack mount.
Less weight a good thing, my 2XL shirts fit better now and I got a new belt out of the deal. May have to get suspenders to keep my pants up.

Hey thanks! I find satisfaction in finding ways to repurpose things I guess that's one of the things that draws me to rat rod bikes, and cheaper than cars/trucks. Steal away!
I agree the lights look better closer to the bars. The bracket is part of a Pletcher rack mount.
Less weight a good thing, my 2XL shirts fit better now and I got a new belt out of the deal. May have to get suspenders to keep my pants up.

I hear suspenders are coming back, so you're golden!

I changed out the pedal blocks, adjusted the rack bracket one space. The fender stays and rack stays are almost parallel, at least you can now see the fender stay. I put the saddle back together and it's on bike. I also put the chain guard back on, had to do some tweaking and bending to get rid of crank rub.
I've set on it but still haven't ridden it. Need to do some adjustments and check tightness. Currently 89 degrees here. Did 13.74 cardio miles on another bike this AM in the cool, windless rare for KS environment.
4c254bca1146d72388c0ab6d08bcf845.jpg

6378a7ba26c2a9e34d1951b017e26a6f.jpg

052dc4358f6f2d063c04f446dbb25ab3.jpg

Need to add some corrosion to headlight bracket...

I love this bike! It's an amazing transformation from page one. The only problem..when people see it, they won't know what it looked like when you started.

Latest posts

Back