(BOTEN) "OUTLAW" ...Withdrawn from the build-off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As promised in the video, here are some pics to help explain...

I chose to use the American style bottom bracket for simplicity in the looks department...

Started with a BMX bottom bracket with the seat post still attached, tacked it to the frame and checked everything was level and centred:

18231125503_158dd6be69_z.jpg

Added two BMX fork legs cut and hand-notched to suit:

18664065050_d457e3ba02_z.jpg

Welded them solid to the bottom bracket:

18665587999_a725cd2ba1_z.jpg

Cut the tacks holding it to the frame and removed the old seat post:

18851753655_4520d5d463_z.jpg

Welded it back on, using the notched ends, a straight edge along the frame and reference marks on the frame to make sure it was in the correct place:

18825501826_061266c305_z.jpg

Thinking about possibly making a filler plate, depends on what I do with the tank... It may even end up covered in padded kangaroo leather...

18851754155_56f342efbd_z.jpg

Started work on the jackshaft drop out on the final drive side, this needs to be fairly strong as the forces are fairly large, I used the curves out of the two chair frames I chopped up for the rear triangle on "Mad Maxine" and some 2"x1" thick wall RHS:

18851753345_5104858cb6_z.jpg

Added front supports using some more chair frame parts:

18231125383_20f208107b_z.jpg

Note the threaded axle adjuster made from an old racer front axle:

18854481771_961d2f26f9_z.jpg

That was it for the day...

Now that I have sat down and had some lunch and can think a bit clearer, I am pretty sure I have a solution for the rear brake that will also simplify things a huge amount, so there should be some good progress on the rest of the drivetrain soon!

Stay tuned!

Luke.

You sir are a true craftsman, just amazing work you do :praise:

I chose to use the American style bottom bracket for simplicity in the looks department...

Started with a BMX bottom bracket with the seat post still attached, tacked it to the frame and checked everything was level and centred:

Welded it back on, using the notched ends, a straight edge along the frame and reference marks on the frame to make sure it was in the correct place:

Thinking about possibly making a filler plate, depends on what I do with the tank... It may even end up covered in padded kangaroo leather...

Started work on the jackshaft drop out on the final drive side, this needs to be fairly strong as the forces are fairly large, I used the curves out of the two chair frames I chopped up for the rear triangle on "Mad Maxine" and some 2"x1" thick wall RHS:

Now that I have sat down and had some lunch and can think a bit clearer, I am pretty sure I have a solution for the rear brake that will also simplify things a huge amount, so there should be some good progress on the rest of the drivetrain soon!

Stay tuned!

Luke.
How about a filler plate that mimics the wheels. That idea would look trick if you ever did motomags for this in the future too, Luke.

- by Gigmata

Luke, will the jackshaft be supported on the opposite side? With it mounted only on one side, it seems like it would put a tremendous amount of strain on the axle from the torque. :39:
Yes, it will have a dropout on the other side, that will be the next thing I do, it wont have to be quite as robust though, as it will not be transferring any braking forces...
Very nice work.
Awesome!
Those lines are great!
I want to take it for a ride.
Speechless!!!
Thanks KJV, Chepe and GSC! :)
How about a filler plate that mimics the wheels. That idea would look trick if you ever did motomags for this in the future too, Luke.
- by Gigmata
Loving this idea Gig! I might just do that yet! :thumbsup:

Luke.

I have been so busy and just trying to find the time to squeeze in some work on my build I have not been keeping up with any of the builds I am following. Finally got some time to take a look at yours and it look great, I cant wait to see it completed.

Maybe make one of these "spiderwebs" to fill the gap by the BB?
!BT(7Kd!!2k~$(KGrHgoOKiEEjlLmfVPLBKIFFlMTy!~~_12.JPG
I love spiderwebs and have used them before, but OCC kind of destroyed them for me, suddenly everybody had them... :crazy2:
I have been so busy and just trying to find the time to squeeze in some work on my build I have not been keeping up with any of the builds I am following. Finally got some time to take a look at yours and it look great, I cant wait to see it completed.
Thanks for dropping in ThatGuy! Looking forward to more on yours too!

Been trying to lock down some sort of timetable to make sure this build meets the deadline with everything done.
Looks like I will need to have the drivetrain sorted by the end of this week and a rolling, riding bike (fork done too) by the end of this month.
The remaining time is for powder coating, leather work and photos...

I think I can do it if the weather and my health cooperate...

Luke.

Thanks for dropping in ThatGuy! Looking forward to more on yours too!

Been trying to lock down some sort of timetable to make sure this build meets the deadline with everything done.
Looks like I will need to have the drivetrain sorted by the end of this week and a rolling, riding bike (fork done too) by the end of this month.
The remaining time is for powder coating, leather work and photos...

I think I can do it if the weather and my health cooperate...

Luke.

Yeah I am trying to do the same, I have some other plans for the bike that might not get done till after the buildoff like powder coating and a few other things.

Stay tuned!

Luke.
This bike is really awesome great vision & fab work [emoji106][emoji88][emoji232]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just pretty cool, some leather sounds appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been pages since we've seen a mock or a sketch...
What's this thing supposed to look like?
Just to freshen up my old memory...

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back