(BOTEN) "OUTLAW" ...Withdrawn from the build-off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... having that much footage to work through was just crazy! Glad you are enjoying the videos!

Luke.

I hear you on that! Back in 2007 I did some filming for Rod Benders in Christchurch when they held the pre '49 rod run. I used 1 hour mini dv tapes... 13 of them :13:. I had to do some serious editing to get it all down to a two hour DVD.

You did a great job and I look forward to more. :41:

Glen.

Video 6 part A! This is a good one, pretty major part of the build, the rear single sided hub.

I did 7 takes of this, all of them had some issues, either a bird squawking, too much wind noise, me forgetting what I wanted to say or messing up moving the video... You get the idea...

I ended up choosing take 3, it has issues with bird noise, wind noise and lighting, but it is the most natural and gets the main points across...

Luke.

Ingenious ideas there, keep thinking I need to get some welding equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite part was your hand gestures showing us that it was part "A"
That jig is really slick.

Lookin' good Luke
Thanks Bean!
Awesome! That single sided rear is not just functional but very elegant looking also. The idea to use the BMX 3 piece crank makes a lot of sense.

This bike is going to be amazing.
:thumbsup: :dance2:
Ingenious ideas there, keep thinking I need to get some welding equipment.
I hope you do at some point NissanFlyer!
My favorite part was your hand gestures showing us that it was part "A"
That jig is really slick.
:21: That was the whole reason I went with take 3, even though it actually had more issues than most of the others!
Love that jig, it started as a half baked idea before we left on our big trip while building BigJim, and got designed in my head on the way to Sydney, it has been modified a few time since, but makes things so easy!
Wheel is coming out amazing. Hope to do something similar some day.
With your frame designs? That would be killer awesome!
Maybe it's me.,but I find these videos extremely entertaining and educational.
Cheers mate!
Dr. T
Thanks Dr. T and Kevin! That sort of feedback is very cool, always great to hear that something is coming across the way you hope it is!:113:

Thanks everyone who liked the videos and posts too! Heading for my 13,000th post and 4,500th like, really happy that people are still liking what I do!

Luke.

Thanks everyone who liked the videos and posts too! Heading for my 13,000th post and 4,500th like, really happy that people are still liking what I do!

Luke.

It's hard not to like what you do, Luke :praise:

Congrats on the upcoming milestones... that's some serious posting and likeability :41:

Glen.

Man your builds keep going farther every year!
Certainly pushing the limits this year! ;)

Decided to do a normal picture post this time for any that don't like videos, a sort of catch up...

Staying warm by use of fire!

17773850669_05e62f0272_z.jpg

Threw the crank arm into the dropsaw to remove the splined pinchbolt boss:

17956996102_23cb14af7e_z.jpg

Welded a washer to each side, only welded to the boss itself, not the axle to avoid affecting any heat treatment issues:

17960091965_862d251ddc_z.jpg

17933671336_7cbb9a2500_z.jpg

Slid over a correct sized piece of fence pipe and welded it to each washer:

17772486740_97267357fd_z.jpg

Put the whole assembly into my wheel jig, fitted perfectly!

17933671286_1efb176ed4_z.jpg

Added 5 oval tube spokes and tacked them in place:

17339604523_5df71f8296_z.jpg

Here is the whole assembly sitting in the wheel:

17956995392_ede5f906b1_z.jpg

Also received a package containing the taillight for this build, a reproduction "Miller" Stop/tail light, will mount it on the single sided rear behind the drive sprocket above my last RRB nameplate.

17772246308_71f961e877_z.jpg

That is where I am up to!

Did anyone notice back in video 5 in one of the 16x sped up sections there is a car I am waiting behind at the lights with the numberplate FST.FWD? :21:

Luke.

Wow Luke you are good a building those wheels! The use of the BMX crank as a hub is brilliant. Glad you explained it all in the vid. That tail light is really killer. As has been said already the vids are great to watch and very well done. I feel like I'm right there with you. Didn't see the FST.FWD but I love little coincidences like that.

Wow Luke you are good a building those wheels! The use of the BMX crank as a hub is brilliant. Glad you explained it all in the vid. That tail light is really killer. As has been said already the vids are great to watch and very well done. I feel like I'm right there with you. Didn't see the FST.FWD but I love little coincidences like that.
very cool build. thanks for posting videos.
Glad you are enjoying the videos!

Been pretty unwell the last couple of days so no work done on the bike, but I have been working on the plan a bit, after drawing it out full size I realised there was not enough legroom between the seat and cranks, so I have been working on some stretched frame designs to give me another four inches or so...

All the designs I came up with spoiled the look of the bike, the original design has a pleasing fork to frame ratio, and extending the frame ruins it...

Found a solution by moving the cranks in front of the downtube instead of behind and leaving the frame as it was. It meant I also had to move the leafspring down the forks a little to allow toe room when turning, but that turned out nice because it meant the light mount also lowered giving it a more streamlined look.

Very happy with the result, glad I spent the extra time on the computer playing with it rather than just extending the frame.

17810777129_16ee07a1c8_z.jpg

Luke.

Just be careful having your cranks so far out in front of the downtube, you don't want you feet hitting the front wheel do you? :21:

Hey KF, ya just got my brain goin', I wonder how the frame would look with the downtube parallel to the fork, from the seat to the BB?
LUKE! Whatya' think? No real reason to be a vertical tube cept' maybe ease of build...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back