Brain fork build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had thought about that one spring idea. I have a pretty good spring that came from a motorcycle shock ,that I was planning on using. I thought about the valve springs for the top rebound or maybe chrome seat springs. If you get a chance post us some pics of yours ..thanks Paul

It's more fun to use the stuff you got and make it yourself. Buy, buy, buy that seems to be the American way.

Twelve bucks could buy some other bike part that I don't have. You also have to remember that times are hard here these days. Someday we will get back to spending money faster than we can make it but till then we get by with what we have.

Korporal said:
Or some people just like building things.

uuuhm...hes building the entire fork :shock: ...you want him to get some spring steel and coil his own springs too?

Sorry, but sometimes money needs to be spent IMO, i don't see the point in saving a few dollars if the end result is inferior performance.

I'm using springs from a ChoppersUS springer on mine they work superb, the other option i tried resulted in super soft suspension
luckily the ChoppersUS springs were given too me but i would of gladly paid 20 bucks a piece if needed for the springs they
made that much difference to the forks performance...

KiM

I thought the 4 chevy valve springs gave a nice ride. If you want to talk performance then I think the whole fork is way to heavy. That is why I went to 5/8 tubes for all four of the tubes to cut down on weight.
I hang my bikes and that is a chunk to lift to the garage ceiling. If you want pretty then buy the chrome.
This was my first fork attempt.
springs.jpg
badjuju.jpg
jujuspring.jpg

This is my second lighter fork with one spring.
plumtastic.jpg
plumbspring2.jpg
plumspring1.jpg

I got this photo a long time ago off the old CBN site, all I can remember is that it was a Brain fork...........Dorian

FromoldCBnet.jpg

I am planning on building these for My current project I just got the springs and freeze plugs for upper and lower springs , I ordered a extra set of each if anyone is planning a set . Also if anyone else has built these, I have been looking over the plans and photos and I cant see how the top springs are attached to the plate...do they just sit there ??
Cheers
Chainmaker

Yeah Chain, the top spring and bottom springs are preloaded as you tighten the crown nuts. As the fork travels through its compression stroke the top springs can often become totally slack but keep the fork from slamming back down on the rebound stroke. It works surprisingly well at the low speeds on a bicycle but could be terribly dangerous on a 100mph chopper. The other factor, with a motorcycle primarily, is the overall length of the fork. As they get longer the tubing wall thickness really needs to be increased to maintain strength but that adds much more unsprung weight which also effects handling and steering feel as speeds increase. But like I said on a bicycle this is a mute point but expect the fork to become a boat anchor if its much longer than say 8" over a stock length fork.

I've built many of these forks in both applications, motorcycle and bicycle. My suggestion is if you really want to go with a long chopper fork, also look at the Girder fork designs as these can be made lighter overall and in my opinion work far better than a pogo stick.

Just my .10 cents.

Later Travis

Latest posts

Back