Brand new to bikes and to here!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Matt, and I am in Austin TX. I know nothing about bicycles, but i am excited to learn!

I have wanted to build a custom motorized bike for quite a while, i finally got around to it. I really dont know what I am doing, so I thought I would join a forum where hopefully i can get soime help/learn by observing.

I grabbed something cheap from walmart (schwinn swindler) that I figured i could reuse parts from (wanted seats/springer basically) as this is the first time i messing with this stuff, or even attempting this sort of modification, i figured it would be a good dry run before i chop up something for real.

I stretched it 10 inches and mounted a 4stroke from ebay on it. still have to mount crank, but keep buying the wrong thing, information on this bike seems pretty hard to find... aside from people commenting its a bad idea since everything is a weird size and hard to find parts.

I like how it is coming, I will rattle can it black here pretty quick, I still need to get crank mounted (cant seem to find right adapter for the 3 peice crank that I have)... I would like to get this legal as a Moped here in TX. Due to not really thinking about regular crank chain, i will have to do some fancy rerouting, or remount engine. The whole point of the stretch was to get the engine low to the ground and not jammed into the middle of the frame... if need be, i can obviously raise it a bit. And no... I dont really know how to weld. I am simultaneously trying to learn new things here :)

Here are some misc build pics. I have the engine mounted and chain straight/tight now... and i know muffler is crazy dangerous, i will make something better (its like a gas chamber riding it), just wanted to try riding tonight once i got chain straight... it was 10pm so its bolted up. (didnt end too well... one of the cvt clutch pads is missing a big chunk it appears...)

tmp_1520867397374_zpsnfywpyiz.png

line_1520398353604_zpsivmaz7wh.jpg

20180311_131318_zpsdvthqv56.jpg

20180310_151940_zpsodby503n.jpg

Anyways excited to be here! I am hoping you all can help me out a bit as I try to figure out what I am doing!

Welcome to RRB!

Looks like you are going to fit in just fine ;)...just ask any questions in the appropriate forum, and you are sure to get an answer, maybe even a relevant one :D.

Swindler is coming along great!
Jason

Welcome to RRB! As a 12 year old who is learning about bikes myself, I can assure you that you're at the right forum. Have fun!

Welcome!

Based on the shop pictures it looks like the adult around there will provide most of the guidance that you will need. Pay attention and you'll do fine!

One word of advice for motorizing a bicycle that was never designed for an engine: For every single MPH over human pedal power your bike will need an equal amount of stopping power! Those stock brakes will not be safe for the added weight and speed. Your front brake is the most important so you would be smart to find a new front hub brake set-up that is up for the task along with an improved rear brake.

Mattman's profile indicates he is 36 ;)
LOL, I quickly scanned through the posts and saw 12 years old in the last one! I guess Mattman is the adult in the shop! Haha

Latest posts

Back