Briggs Slant-Single Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boogerballs
This is a great idea but as an engineer I see a couple of failure points that will be easy to correct!
I am not trying to tell you what to do, BUT if it were mine, I would fabricate a front (or top of cylinder) mounting bracket so that it uses the 3 closest head bolts and mounts a welded bracket to the front down-tube.
That seat post tube will start a fatigue crack from the extended overhang of this B&S engine and the single cylinder vibration's.
If you mount it in front it will strengthen the entire frame as a unit.
The other item is a safety concern?
I would machine or grind off the rest of the remaining stubs from the flywheel cooling fan and get it balanced, it could be balanced close enough on one of those simple "Cone and Point" balancers like used for lawn mower blades, it's not that critical.
Can you imagine your knee or leg going against this if for any reason you had to lay it down?
Also, if you did not put a downward angle on the oil dipper, I would say you may need to because it's not going to get down into the oil for proper splash especially when the oil level gets low.
Look at how this was done on the old Continental and Reo engines and you will see what I mean?
I have been doing small engines for 50 years, I like your fresh new approach, it just needs a little tweaking!
Rusty Bikes

Booger-balls
More on oil control
You don't say but if this engine tends to smoke more than usual, you could try making a small sheet metal windage tray to isolate the bottom downward corner or V of the crankcase without affecting oil supply.
Of course everything I am suggesting is subject to how it works on the real thing?
Drain Plug
Many B&S blocks like yours had only one drain plug but some also had 2 with a second plug on the opposite end, you could easily drill and "tap" it with threads for a 1/4 inch pipe plug for a more complete oil drain.
How do you start this engine without a compression release?
Have you thought about using one that screws into the head like on some 2 stroke dirt bike engines?
This would be easy to do!
Another way to get your engine to "spin easy" would be to find a "late model" plastic camshaft with the built in exhaust compression release.
Rusty Bikes

great bike!
any progress or videos?
i'd like to see your clutch in action if possible

Sweet build! Making me want to motor my cruiser frame frame now! Any further update on running this engine laid over?

I am interested in how this is doing, too. I like the idea of a head motor mount and would run high quality motorcycle specific (read: more expensive) oil, just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back