BUILD OFF #8: '68 HUFFY SLINGSHOT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I'm gonna try my hand at this and see what happens. This is 1968 Huffy Slingshot w/5-speed center console shifting. I already know most of the battle-tested vets on this site know what this is probably just looking at the frame, but those of us who are still in our larval stage, here's what I know about this bike:
24" frame
banana seat
"ten speed" style brakes
redline walled tires with a "drag" slick out back and a slightly thinner and taller, front wheel/tire combo

Since 1968 is my birth year, this bike is going to be special. The late sixties to late seventies represented a simpler time in toy making. For instance, during the sixties everyone had or wanted a "muscle" car of some sort. These bicycles allowed kids to imagine themselves driving that GTO, Chevelle or my personal Hot Wheels fave, the "Super Bird" that was so prevelent. One of my favorite bikes on Earth as a kid was Huffy's 20" "Bandit" bike. My guess is that Huffy wanted to cash in on the success of the "Smokey and the Bandit" franchise with a bike that was overtly similar the to 1978 Trans Am that made the movie so popular. I can't tell you how many times I'd go to sleep with my mother's J.C. Penney catalog dreaming about that bike. Well, after a lot of begging, hint dropping and some very positive parent conferences, Santa (mom) came through. I was truly the first kid on my block to have one!!!

Well, enough of memory lane, let's get to buildin'!!!! Cheers!!!! :D

Alright, I've the first basecoat on. Now a lil' color sandin' to fix the "rattlecan" errors, and I'm in business. Next up, Wheels!!!

Alrighty, got my wheels together. Now I gotta decide if I'm gonna use the original forks or a set of springers. I dunno I'm still ....working that out.

Welcome to the show.
I think you need more spokes. :mrgreen:

kingfish254 said:
Welcome to the show.
I think you need more spokes. :mrgreen:
Yeah but they don't make 288 spoke wheels..........................or do they??????
:wink:

LukeTheJoker said:
Very, very cool! And awesome story!

Just a thought, you don't seem to be changing the frame at all, and not powder coating, you could be in the "Traditional" class if you wanted...

Luke.
True enough LTJ, but I'm components I want to use will probably offset frame hacking (cause I can't weld) and just taking design cues from the guys on this site and "pervert" those ideas into something a little different.....or at least that's the goal. I wanna build a slingshot that no one has seen yet. Not ornate, but cool enough to make folks drool just a little. Cheers.....

Latest posts

Back