Build Off 8 "The Brightest Spark" Prize!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Build Off 8 "The Brightest Spark" Prize!

This spark-plug bottle opener...

1zd3bzq.jpg

...is for "the brightest spark". Someone that deserves a nice cool beverage because they did something especially clever and inventive on their build... a champion of ingenuity.

So if you have seen something on a build that made you say "that's clever, what a bright spark to think of that, that deserves a drink" or some such thing... then please nominate it here and at the end of the build off I will start a poll to determine the winner. (Is that how I should do it? Or is there a better way?)

Here are some to get started...

1. Southern Flyer - The Renaissance Man used parts of this...

100_5352_zpsa3bff043.jpg

On this...

100_5481_zps435120bc.jpg

2. Kustom coaster 111 - MazdaFlyer made this headlight from old copper bowls and an old insulator...

yga3a5ar.jpg

3. Stitch (spaceliner Newbie) - MrLeghorn came up with a headlight made from the top of a Gatorade bottle.

photobucket-10987-1372547016482_zps05a2bc9c.jpg

4. Southern Flyer - A clever bolt on seatpost from The Renaissance Man...

100_5358_zps5e5da574.jpg

5. Mercury Pacemaker - Geech34-2nd made a seat post from a Schwinn crank...

MVC-079S.jpg

6. Southern Flyer - The Renaissance Man made boardtrack bars using seat clamps...

100_5396_zps249b9d82.jpg

7. Stock Isn't - Panelman made hidden mudguard (fender) braces...

vetavaza.jpg

Re: Build Off 8 "The Brightest Spark" Prize! - Nominations

I nominate most anything that is in the Highlight thread.
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=72241

I have decided that I will choose the winner of this myself, so there will be NO voting on it.

I will look at the bikes and see which one I think is the most inventive overall.

Might take me a while :?

Glen said:
I have decided that I will choose the winner of this myself, so there will be NO voting on it.

I will look at the bikes and see which one I think is the most inventive overall.

Might take me a while :?
Way to go Glen...
It has been one crazy build-off with a lot of brilliant bikes and ideas... :D

After much to-ing and fro-ing - the winner of “The Brightest Spark” award is...

SOUTHERN FLYER by The Renaissance Man
BUILD THREAD: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=72053
FINISHED THREAD: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=75546

100_5588_zpsdb0bf4bc.jpg

It was a tough choice as there were many entries with very clever and inventive additions and/or modifications.

The reasons for my choice are...

1. Clever use of toilet seat hinge parts.

2. Ingenious method of attaching a laid back seat post.

3. Inventive way of using seat clamps for the cool board track drop bars.

4. Cunningly luring watchers into a great build (YZ-24 MotoBike) then switching to another about 5 weeks from the end.

5. Was clever enough to actually research how to get that nice brown metal colour.

6. Grafted on dropouts to the fork with tabs attached for use with the truss rods. The new dropouts added the extra length needed to resolve the “short fender brace” conundrum, skillfully “killing two birds with one stone” as the old saying goes.

7. Using a “nifty little slotted brass plug” to fill a hole on the headlight bowl was also pretty impressive and using the word “nifty” highly comendable.

8. And most brilliant of all... that photo of this deceptively simple bike parked alone on a shady lane with fog hanging serenely in the background, in stark contrast to the frenetic few preceding weeks.

Now that's clever...

Congratulations Renaissance Man, a PM has been sent requesting your postal details.

Cheers,

Glen.

Excellent choice Glen!!!! R-Man did an amazing job on that bike in such a short period of time at the end. It's definitely one of the top builds of BO8 and one of my faves!

Thank you so much Glen!

I am honestly thrilled about your choosing me for this award. Out of the 107 bikes (including your own) with all of their own unique attributes, it humbles me to have caught your attention to this degree. It is also personally rewarding to think about someone who is 8,000 miles away, and in a different hemisphere, acknowledging my ideas as something worthy of recognition. That is a story that I will be able to tell again and again every time I reach for my Champion bottle opener in the presence of someone new!

Cheers to you mate,
Jim

P.S. Thank you also to everyone else who have agreed with Glen and his choice for this cool prize! 8)

Re: Build Off 8 "The Brightest Spark" Prize! - Sent

Sent off "The Brightest Spark" award to The Renaissance Man today and sent him a PM to let him know.

Cheers,

Glen.

Latest posts

Back