Build Off Highlights

This thread is always a cool one each year to highlight some of the great touches that builders are putting into their bikes. It's a chance for you to point people to a build they might be missing. As in years past, I would ask that you not promote your own builds here, but rather shine a light on stuff that someone else has done that you thought was that little extra layer of cool.

I'll start by showing that Kingfish's Evans-action fork alone makes his build sexy.

Last edited:

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com

LukeTheJoker

Nov 17, 2012
Broken Hill, Australia
www.ratrodbikes.com
Scientific Faux-tina testing on GYSOT!

Playing with patina a bit. I picked up a piece of steel as a stand-in for the frame, and started painting one side with red oxide primer. Then I sprayed half of that side in black primer, then shot the whole thing with Willow Green.

Then I started wet sanding with some 600 grit sandpaper. Starting with the red oxide side...

Then the black and red oxide side.

I thought the sanding down to the black layer looked OK, but wasn't wild about the sanding all the way to the red oxide and bare metal.

On the other side, I tried something different.

Let's just assume that the top part of the metal is the top of the tank. I started with some etching primer - a full coat on the bottom, then a light coat at the top. Then I hit it with some gloss black, and finished it off with willow green. The logic was this:

The etching primer will stick to the metal, the black will stick to the primer, and the green will stick to the black. I hit the light areas, it should go right down to bare metal without much issue. Then, once I have bare metal exposed, I can rust it with vinegar and salt water.

So here's where I stand, after a little vinegar treatment. It's not bad, but I won't really know until it's had a chance to rust a little more.

Hopefully I'll get to the frame by the end of the weekend.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/gysot-playing-with-patina.91915/

Luke.

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
The Bike Wall BOXKARS Clyde James Cycles