Building a wide fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a wide fork for the build I'm doing now, so I figured I would do a quick how to.
Maybe someone will want to try it .
I bent a piece of 1'' 16 ga. tubing in my jd2 bender. I have a worksman fork to use.

DSCF0001_zpsc852421c.jpg

Next I lay the 1'' tubing on the fork and draw where to cut.

I cut it with a porta band saw.

DSCF0006_zpsa76d5f46.jpg

You end up with a piece like this. I grind it to fit the 1'' and get it as close as I can.

DSCF0009_zpsfe8fb542.jpg

Next I clamp it to the 1'' and get ready to weld.

DSCF0011_zps0269b0a0.jpg

DSCF0012_zps07427467.jpg

I weld it where the fork tube is in the middle. Then a heavy tack on both ends.
Now is a good time to make sure its lined up like you want it. Then I weld the bejabbers out of it.
Don't laugh at my welding this is a how to not a welding course.... besides I'm old :roll: :roll:
Once your done you sand the welds some and then fill in the lower area with bondo and
smooth it all out. Now you have a fork wide enough for monster tires.
DSCF0016_zps10af29c1.jpg

Nice...

Wish list, your bender to be sent to my house... You want the address????

Hi there

I understood that the threaded portion of the forks was only welded to the headset collar at the very bottom of the fork ?

Just below the brake/fender bolt hole ?

Does your butchery compromise this in anyway ?

regards Paul

ps it is beautiful butchery :lol:

Sinner its a kinda expensive tool that for me only bends stays. It does them very well though.
Call Jd2 and they will send you one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stormbird, Not sure what your asking. My only guess is can you still run a front brake?
I never do and would imagine my change would keep that from working, I weld up that
fender/brake hole when I bondo in where its welded.
DSCF0002_zpsba828de5.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
Sinner its a kinda expensive tool that for me only bends stays. It does them very well though.

My Neighbor has one bolted to his floor. I just need the Dies to do the same as yours.

Hi all

Sorry English ! :) HUH

I understand there is a weld at the bottom of the fork , underneath the bolt hole that holds the fork together ? sort of facing the tyre.

Does cutting the fork in this manner mean without re-welding that area the fork may separate ?

Paul

stormbird said:
Hi all

Sorry English ! :) HUH

I understand there is a weld at the bottom of the fork , underneath the bolt hole that holds the fork together ? sort of facing the tyre.

Does cutting the fork in this manner mean without re-welding that area the fork may separate ?

Paul

Ok I see what your asking. I don't weld anything additional on the fork part I cut off. I just weld the
threaded tube to my bent piece first. Its the thickest and the best place to get a good weld. Then
I weld the original fork tubes to the new fork tubes. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Chuck. It will fit a 100mm wide rim with room to spare. I could have done a
better job on the bondo part, but I was in a big hurry to finish and stick the bike together.
This will give you an idea of the finished look.

DSCF0002_zps1dfbe745.jpg

DSCF0001_zps7dcd5375.jpg

They turn out good. You need to save us a few more forks and I will weld
up a few in case we want to run monster tires on something. The cool part
is you can cut a couple inches of the lower leg off and it will slide real tight
on the 1'' tubing. I drilled 4 holes in each and welded , and sanded them
off where the welds don't show. I think its called plug weld.
DSCF0001_zps76f67d05.jpg

Latest posts

Back