Building a workshop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos of what will be my workshop.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

That's me on the right...
7.jpg

8.jpg

When the roof is done, and the door and windows are in place I'll have to wait until summer or fall before I insulate it because it'll have to sit for some time since the walls are built without nails for this type of house.

huh. neat. so the planks are slid down into slots? what about the corners?... are they nailed down or screwed into the sill bolts? are you going to heat it?

It's not BIG enough! LOL. ... of course I'm the guy with too many cars, just ask my wife.

Very cool to be building your very own "man cave". Men need their own space [and time] sometimes. Keep us posted on the progress.

Clark

Thanks for the comments! :) I'll see if I can make some sketches to show you how it's constructed.
Yepp, it's going to be good to have my own creative space! :) But I think the size will be enough for me....for now at least! :D I'm not really in to cars, but I have plans to see if I could learn how to work with motorbikes, and since I am a "one project a time"-type of guy I think there'll be room enough. :) oh, and yes it will be heated.

That's neat!!! Please show us how the corners are done. Can you buy lumber already cut like that there, or did you have it custom cut? Thanks!!!

It's custom cut! :D I'll try to make time to do some sketches of the construction tonight when I get home from work. :)

Finally had some time to make a few simple sketches, sorry if I've kept you waiting!

Here's how the sills are joined together in the corner, holes were drilled through it all and ironrods hold it into place on the foundation.
skiss1.jpg

Here's what the bottom end of the cornerpost looks like. It's cut so that it fits around the corners of the sills and lock it in place. To be on the safe side we secured every corner with two screws.
skiss2.jpg

This is how the walls are made. Ifitsfreeitsforme was right on track, the planks (2 inches thick) are slid into slots and then held down by the rooftrusses.
skiss3.jpg

Two new photos:
10.jpg

This is what it looks like right now.
9.jpg

That's pretty much where I'm at with this right now, hope the scetches made sense!
Thank you all again for all the kind comments! :)

very nice looking workshop. steel roof? thanks for the sketches and explanations.

Thank you! :)
The roof is concrete roof tiles. I'm not sure exactly how the insulation will be done, but I guess the main principle will be to put up crossbars (is that the right word??) that are attached to the cornerposts and then build the innerwalls on that construction. But that won't be done until next fall...

Latest posts

Back