Cable operated two speed hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Trying to pick between two 2 speed hubs.

The cable operated bendix 2sp or the red stripe kickback 2pd auto.

I have a spaceliner with the kickback auto so I really would like more info on the cable units.

The hub, cable and trigger shifter. I can get these parts all new old stock. I like the industrial look of this hub and it will be easy to paint it to fit the colors of the bicycle I'm planning to put it on. The kickback auto will work also, just be a bit more work to get painted. Chrome just won't work on the project. Cost is a draw between them. Unless I go used, then it's a crap shoot if I get a good hub or not.

So I want to ask about it before I choose and buy.

So, anyone ride bikes with this hub anymore? Is it dependable? Not worth messing with? Likes? dislikes? Hows the gearing compare to the kickback auto?

Thanks,
Rod

It's been a long time since I've ridden a bike with a lever action 2-speed, but IIRC the low gear is quite a bit lower than the kickbacks. The drawback on the lever action is the cable, plus the brakes are weak. Schwinn always put a front hand brake on bikes they sold with the lever action 2-speed, so beware. I run kickbacks on several bikes and like them all. Red bands have disc brakes and the yellow and blue have pads. Red bands stop better if freshly rebuilt but the discs eventually get dog eared and they don't work as well. Gary

I run a lever action Bendix on my Silver King..........the brakes are pretty good on mine, but there is a long swing to engage the brake that I never figured out how to resolve. But I really like the feeling of working the lever to switch gears.

I ride a 27" Schwinn Super Sport frame with a Bendix Multispeed hub. The low gear with the cable relaxed is just about right for me. I changed out the bronze brake shoes for the steel shoes and it stops a lot better.

I always liked having a lever better, but not the looks of the cable on the bikes I would typically run it on...

A long time ago a salesman at a shop I worked at walked back to the repair area, spied my Schwinn Flying Star and said, "cool bike!" He then squeezed the 2 sp lever- 'clunk'.

"Hmm...brakes don't work very good."

:)

I always liked having a lever better, but not the looks of the cable on the bikes I would typically run it on...

A long time ago a salesman at a shop I worked at walked back to the repair area, spied my Schwinn Flying Star and said, "cool bike!" He then squeezed the 2 sp lever- 'clunk'.

"Hmm...brakes don't work very good."

:)

Ha! I rolled mine into the local shop one day to see if they could make a new cable for me.......the guy said "I'll be honest with you, I've never even seen anything like that."

Well, because everything will be new, I am leaning towards the cable 2 spd. This bike will get ridden but not a daily rider. I hope it will be one of those bikes that is right on the edge of being to nice to ride, but rides really well.

Latest posts

Back