Cali Girl just got a bike today! =)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, So here is how I got here...
A few days ago I thought it would be a great idea to get a beach cruiser. So Iooked on Craig's List and found a bike. Unfortuantly someone was going to buy it in a few days, but the owner told me about this site and how he does a bunch of kustom bikes.
Well there was a yard sale down the street from his house and I picked up a Schwinn Bendix for $50.
I was planning on painting it flat black, putting some white walls on it, all the good stuff. 8)

After I looked through here I realized I wanna do this right. I think I don't really know what I'm getting myself into...but it's all good.
I know NOTHING about bikes, I can tell you about dirt bikes, but I am clueless about what I got here. So any advice/comments/help etc. is totally welcome. :D

I really like the whole kustom kulture and have always wanted to build a rat rod. But mechanical skill and fundage are lacking for me, so hopefully this will be the way I can build myself a SWEET ride.

I don't know the year and don't see any kind of serial number anywhere, :shock: so if anyone has a clue please tell me.
I look forward to learning about this and hopefully creating something really amazing and maybe meet some cool people along the way.

OH! That white stuff on the door is bug killer...haven't really figured out how to get it off. lol
And I forgot...my name is Candace,I'm 25 years old, I live in Northern California....
mypictures001.jpg

looks like a good start welcome from sacramento if you ever need parts come by the shop. have fun and you say your into the kulture as well does that mean you will be making it out to midnight mass?

I'll check it out for sure. Thanks. =)
I actually live about 2 1/2 hours from Sac so going there isn't a problem for me...
Ive never been to midnight mass, but I would love to go.
Hopefully this year. Im in Sac a lot cause one of my tattoo artists is there, so Im saying yeah... :D

The ser.# should be on the left rear dropout (where the wheel mounts) or possibly underneath the crankshaft hanger. It's probably late 50's-early 60's, the # is the best clue. http://www.bunchobikes.com/serialnumber2.htm

It might be hidden by the fender strut, or wheel washer, maybe painted over. It could be up front on the steering neck if it's newer than it looks. Probably painted over.

Well thanks. =)
Im excited.

Still can't see anything, maybe when I sand it i'll find it! :p

Another ?
Is this supposed to have a hand brake? I test road it and used the pedal brake to stop and it didn't do the best job :shock:
How do I remedy that?

Thanks! =)

As for the brake, it probably needs to be cleaned and lubed, there are 2 basic types, post in how to forum. You'll probably get more info response there, or in fresh finds forum. Happy cycling!

Welcome to the forrum Candace, Cool old lady you got there and judging from what I see its late 40s or 50s and unless someone
ground off the #s you should find them on the under side of the crank or on the left rear drop out...as mentioned it can be obscured
by the fender struts and paint. You stated it was a Bendix so I'm guessing that it has a Bendix rear hub so it should work well after
servicing the bike is more likely a Hollywood as Bendix was never a Schwinn model just a brand of part......I'm sure with all the
Schwinn fanatics around here you learn all you need to know about your new ride....Enjoy 8) 8)

Gold Street Customs is actually the guy who had the bike for sale and told me about this site. :D
I'm from Willits (which is 20min north of Ukiah) but I moved to Lake County a few months ago.

another nor cal welcome from north siskiyou county, bout 25 miles south the oregon boarder. really diggin the schwinn there. almost looks perfect as is! really don't need a handbrake, but if ya wanted to add one up front you might be able to. that being a schwinn, ya might need a different fork that a set of hand brakes can be added to.

its always great to see the ladies involved in building bikes. currently gonna start working on my wife's 61 hawthorne cruiser build.

thanks everyone for the greetings. Everyone seems to be really nice and helpful on here. :D

So I work at a dirt bike shop where my boss actually does a lot of kustom work on cars, trucks, helmets, wake boards, etc...and he said I could bring it over to the shop and work on it there! :p He has all the sand paper, tools, etc....
Im excited, and I want to do it all myself (maybe some adult supervision will be required) :lol:

Welcome! :)
Of course you should do it all yourself, you'll learn what you need to know along the way! Have fun! :D

Latest posts

Back