CALIFORNICATION - Custom Western Flyer build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: CALIFORNICATION - Now with Jerald Tires!

Rat Rod said:
I run a 42T on my Skull Skates cruiser with a Nexus 7 our back.

skull4.jpg~original

He posted this earlier on your thread
Here is the build he is talking about
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68541&p=661544&hilit=Skull+Skates#p661544

Re: CALIFORNICATION - Shifter Build!

Nice monster shifter!
Where are you gonna mount it?

I've never done one like that, but I am pretty sure there is a thread on how to make frame mounts for those grip shifters.

Can't wait to see the shifter mounted, looks sharp! 8)

Only issue you might run into is it wanting to jump out of gear.

I used the same setup for my shifter last year with a 3 spd. with the 3 spd indexing, the throws between gears were quite far. trying to adapt that setup with a 7spd and a tall shifter could lead to it popping out of gear a lot and the shifter being in the way from the longer throws between gears. of course if you do get it to work......I`ll steal your idea for another time! :lol:

Curious if you have to be really gentle with these shifters once the long shift arm is installed.

Seems like the extra leverage would cause the shift arm to snap right off if your push it too hard. :shock:

Rat Rod said:
Curious if you have to be really gentle with these shifters once the long shift arm is installed.

Seems like the extra leverage would cause the shift arm to snap right off if your push it too hard. :shock:

Actually the way I am attaching the arm assembly to the shifter it creates enough pressure to hold the gear in place and with the mounting bracket running thru the twist shifter it is strong enough (photos to follow) :)

And the last of my parts will be here sooooon!!!!!

First-Class Package Service
Out for Delivery
July 26, 2013, 8:42 am
OXNARD, CA 93036
Expected Delivery By:
July 26, 2013
USPS Tracking / Delivery Confirmation™

These shifters can only take so much weight. They're mostly plastic including the internal shift mechanism. I know someone who has broken a couple of them with a smaller handle.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Re: CALIFORNICATION - Photo Day #2!

Nice and sparkly. I cheated a bit. Nice photos. :wink:

Latest posts

Back