Caliper Brake Mounting (there's a lesson here)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to switch my 24" Huffy Good Vibrations from coaster brake to freewheel. Once you're used to a freewheel, with or without derailleur, a coaster can be annoying. Front caliper brake was easy. Rear caliper looked like it would fit so I bought a single speed freewheel and replaced the multi-cog freewheel on a 24" MTB wheel. When I got things together and snugged up, the caliper arms where not long enough. My box of calipers had nothing with a longer reach. I squinted at things for a while, scratched my head, tried to come up with some way to fabricate something to extend the brake, and regretted buying the freewheel. Then inspiration! Because of the angle of this frame relative to the wheel, the calipers would reach farther on the wheel if mounted below the brake bridge (in front of the set stays) instead of the usual location on top. Checked with Sheldon Brown who said this mounting is OK, so here we go. I'll report back after I set up the brake lever and cable and take her for a test ride.

huffygvbrake2.jpg
huffygvbrake3.jpg
huffygvbrake1.jpg

Did the same on my old 26" Good Vibrations10 spd. conversion. Had no doubt it would work, after all the front wheel always goes past the brake that way.

Apparently, the old cam brakes were so powerful, they would bend seat stays. Thus the chainstay location, they're stronger. Some say they moved back due to mud clogging, but I find it hard to believe that it was any worse than the traditional spot.
80823455-mountain-bike-wheel-brake-and-suspension-fork-covered-with-mud-riding-a-bike-through-...jpg

m56qe.jpg

I'm not fully sure there's even a brake in there, but it's a Commencal, really good bike, and I love their seat stays)
Advantage: disk brakes

Apparently, the old cam brakes were so powerful, they would bend seat stays. Thus the chainstay location, they're stronger. Some say they moved back due to mud clogging, but I find it hard to believe that it was any worse than the traditional spot.
View attachment 150458
View attachment 150459
I'm not fully sure there's even a brake in there, but it's a Commencal, really good bike, and I love their seat stays)
Advantage: disk brakes
Cam and U brakes could crush rims, bend seat stays and be heck to set up! The brake handles were higher ratio also....(big hint right there for motorized bike disc brake guys!)

Latest posts

Back