can anyone give me an average price for a 26 inch 5 speed drum brake rear wheel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I am currently building a bike and my plans are a 5 speed klunker. but the problem i have is there is no mounting hole fr a rear brake.
i could drill a hole but i would rather go all in and run a drum brake 5 speed wheel.
i know Schwinn had these and i am hoping i can find a cheap one even if i have to rebuild it
the question i have is how much does one of these wheels usually run? and how hard will it be to find one?
f push comes to shove i will drilla hole but i would rather go all in
any ideas?
thanks in advance
sean

If you can't find a true externally gear old Schwinn unit, Sturmey Archer makes the internally geared RX-RD5 with a 70mm drum and the RXL-RD5 with a 90mm drum.

I'm simulating a drum hub by using a 90mm scooter brake that threads onto a freewheel 3 speed.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can't find a true externally gear old Schwinn unit, Sturmey Archer makes the internally geared RX-RD5 with a 70mm drum and the RXL-RD5 with a 90mm drum.

I'm simulating a drum hub by using a 90mm scooter brake that threads onto a freewheel 3 speed.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i thought about that idea bt the reason i am wanting the external geared drum is i am building an old school klunker from a 68 huffy frame and i am trying to keep it as era correct as i can although i realize the 5 speed drum brake is not necessarily 60's but the frames a 68 ad i am going for a true blue 70's style klunker i like your idea though might go internal

You could always do a rear disc brake. These Shimano units came on cheap 10-speeds in the mid 70's and are still affordable and somewhat common. Fairly easy to work with too.

IMG_0488.JPG

You could always do a rear disc brake. These Shimano units came on cheap 10-speeds in the mid 70's and are still affordable and somewhat common. Fairly easy to work with too.

View attachment 57489
nice!!! i like that idea i will have to research those and see how much to get a setup like this that would definitely work

There is a worksman rear drum hub. I'm not sure who it's actually made by, or where to get one. There was one on eBay the other day and there was also one in the classifieds here. $$$.
I'm working on putting front and rear drums in my 63 typhoon. 5 speed seems like quality freewheels are not available. Maybe I'm. It looking in the right place. There was also a 79? Schwinn cantilever in the classifieds the other day with a 5 speed rear atom hub. Was really cool.

It's hard to judge. Seems they draw kinda big money when they come up. I feel like I recently saw an atom listed in the triple digits. They came on Schwinn tandems in the '70s. If you have swapmeets near you, I'd keep an eye out. I picked one up at a local swap for $20 (which will be goin on a klunker build of my own soon) and I got an atom one in a Schwinn s-2 in a Craigslist bundle of parts with a whole mess of goodies for $240. I've also see tandems at swap meets with em where the whole bike was cheaper then I see the hubs go for.

So, basicly, pricing is all over. Sites dedicated to bikes, and eBay will most likely be more costly as the seller is listing it because they know what they have. But then finding em in the wild can take time, if at all.

Latest posts

Back