Can generator spin clockwise?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I added a vintage generator to the left side rear of my 74 varsity. The generator wheel spins counter clockwise when peddling and the lights work.

I was considering getting a 2nd generator to mount on the right side just for fun. Has anyone seen any of these? Or can a left side one by modified to work on the right? Will it generate electricity spinning clockwise?

Thanks for any suggestions

Hello all. I added a vintage generator to the left side rear of my 74 varsity. The generator wheel spins counter clockwise when peddling and the lights work.

I was considering getting a 2nd generator to mount on the right side just for fun. Has anyone seen any of these? Or can a left side one by modified to work on the right? Will it generate electricity spinning clockwise?

Thanks for any suggestions
1590341451346.png

good point. Although I would like this second light to be at the same height and position as the first.

I looked over the first light and it seems that it would rub the tire ok just in reverse.

Do you know if these generators produce electricity roating in either direction?

IIRC they are basically DC motors, in that case it should work backwards. If I'm right the only difference is if it has timing built into it.

Let's say you have a 3 pole motor which is 3 rotors wrapped in wire (the windings) and the top winding is at 12 o'clock, if the top segment of your commutator is also at 12, it's 0 timing. Let's also say this motor spins clockwise. If you now rotate the com to the 1 o'clock position you have advanced the timing which will make a DC motor spin faster.

If this would affect the power generated, I couldn't say. That is above my pay grade!

Thx for the advice! I went ahead and ordered another. We'll see what happens

If it generates electricity when it spins one way, then it should remove electricity if you spin it backwards. Seems logical.

Latest posts

Back