Can you help identify the brand of this bike, no one has been able to so far!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to identify a simple coaster brake bike that is located in New Zealand. I will include photos. From what I understand is that even though it has a Raleigh chain guard, that no other parts seem to be Raleigh. I feel the secret is in the frame. The bend in the men's bar, just before the seat seems unusual.
  • The hub is a Strumey Archer which says 72 2 and under it SC I believe this is a 1972?
  • On the pole under the seat, these are the only numbers which are 4350 UN ?????
  • The front wheel has H.R. Pattern made in England on it.
  • Also with the bike came two type of thicker spokes or bars that have sap nuts at one end.
Someone must recognize this simple bike, who made it? Thank you so much for helping me, I have tried everything and I really no nothing about bikes.
Please see the photos. I put them on flicker as I did not see how to upload photos from my computer. This link should take you to all 5 pictures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/112895966@N05/
Diane
112895966@N05

It is a cool bike!

Here are some photos from the link for those trying to help:

11640677245_52558f1b08_z.jpg

11640686785_9b515e5a39_z.jpg

Cottered cranks, lugged construction, definitely not American built I would say, could be European or Australian...

Luke.

If it's not too late, you need to carefully examine the frame's paint job where the chain guard mounts. It's got a Raleigh chain guard and a forensic exam might tell you if there was ever a different chain guard mounted. That would be one clue, anyway.

Thank you all so far.
Luke, the bike looks so much like Raleigh, however, people have told me they see no Raleigh parts on it at all except the guard. I found a photo of a very similar bike that is a Raleigh from the 1970s and it looked like the chain guard went all the way back, in these photos it does not seem like it does. The bike was painted and is not being stripped. The frame seems so unusual, might someone be able to recognize that bend?

I heard that the Maridia bike brand from Taiwan was started in 1972, hmmm same year as this bike, and they fashioned their first bikes from the Raliegh bikes???? I could not find photos. There are no other tags or labels under the blue paint which is now off the bike.
Please keep trying, we so want to know what brand of bike this is. THANK YOU ALL!

The frame style is called a camel back, quite a few companies did them back in the day, not sure how many were still doing them in the 70's though... I am still guessing Australian, maybe a Malvern Star...

Luke.

that is most definitely a Raleigh, or all the parts on the frame are from Raleigh. I have the same exact bike except for the Camelbak frame. post some pictures of the lugs on the frame and we can probably tell you if its a Raleigh.

The rims match, so it's a good guess to say it's a 1972 bike, but the fork crown looks like an older English style, like found on Hercules bikes. The lugs on the frame seen in the pic look pretty basic, not like Raleigh or other English bikes which were contoured and had a curvy design to them. On that frame, they are plain lugs with no pattern. It's dropouts also seem older than 1972, so maybe someone changed both rims with a matching set. It was probably repainted, but maybe the shape of the original head badge shows slightly, that would be a big help.

Wildcat seems to be on the right track. Look at the CCM Wikipedia page at the "light delivery" model - motorized. Same crooked camelback.

The OP's bike looks to have substantially different rear drops than either the Raliegh/Huffy, or the CCM. I have seen them on Stelber badged bikes, which were imported from either Austria or W. Germany. In fact, the upper and lower frame stays are usually separate pieces, which the axle holds together. "UN" could stand for Union Cycle, I believe they were part of the collective company that made these Euro oddball bikes.

I am still looking but thank you all so far. I feel like you got me to the CCM frame. I am confident from matching photos that the chain guard is a Swept wing which Raleigh used?
I was wondering why no one talks of the sprocket part? I looked at some bikes but the design on that part would need to match? Is that something you look at? Meanwhile I will continue on.
Diane

I'll bet someone fabbed up the rear bracket of the chain guard to make it fit. I don't think it was made for that bike. I remember that style, I'll see if I can find one to see what bikes they were on. Same with the sprocket design, I'll see if I can find a match. Those are easy to change out, the cotter holds the sprocket and crank arm as one piece, so it may not be original either. It looks like the standard sprocket found on 60's and 70's 3 speeds, that would be newer than the frame.
Can you post a pic of the other side of the bike? I'd like to see how the chain guard is attached at the front.

Last edited:
+1 to the guy who said the drop-outs ain't Raleigh. That is absolutely not a Raleigh-built frame.

As for the wheels, sprocket, etc... These items are so often and easily replaced, looking to them for clues as to a bike's identity can be a wild goose chase. Especially on a bike like this, which doesn't seem too "original". At this point, I'd be inclined to see what the fork and BB threading is like; that will help you rule out some stuff, and better focus just where the frame comes from...

My gut tells me this is a Austrian or German bike, but that is admittedly a shot in the dark. If the fork or BB are threaded in some weird Whitworthless/ Raleigh-spec manner, I'd jump right back to the UK....(But I still swear on my mama's eyeballs that it ain't a Raleigh)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back