Cannondale/LL Bean MTB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mid '80s Cannondale sold by LL Bean. Only thing I have that would be considered an mtb, looks kind of lame with all these suspension frames nowadays. Still does the job. Tully Lake, MA shot after a bruising ride. I was the only thing that got bruised!
IMG_20181004_233206.jpg
IMG_20181005_075804.jpg

Remember, mountain biking was invented by people riding less "trail worthy" bikes than that. The full suspension bikes tame the trail, flatten all the bumps, while hardtail has you in contact with the trail, feeling it! And I bet yours is better up hill and in the twisties.

It certainly feels more responsive than a "springy" mtb. Being that I'm a road biker primarily, for the $50 it was a good fit for my riding style. Shifters are still original and don't perform to my standards, especially on technical single track terrain. Plus, I needed to use mtb pedals; have those now!

Remember, mountain biking was invented by people riding less "trail worthy" bikes than that. The full suspension bikes tame the trail, flatten all the bumps...

I dunno, sometimes the bumps are pretty big and FS makes them more doable even to a seasoned Rider.
amasa.jpg

I knew these ledges and also knew I didn't have to drop my saddle to ride them. I was just being lazy.

You are correct. I don't believe that anyone should attempt that on an LL Bean Cannondale.
Stranger things have happened, such as my friend Jon riding the drop-in to Horsethief Bench on a rigid singlespeed with 2" of fresh snow on the ground. One of the most graceful pieces of technical riding I have ever witnessed. Some days, nothing can stop you.

The Infamous Horsethief Bench Drop-In

Last edited:
I can't believe the folks on MTBR, just read one comment where the guy would rather not bike than do it without a dropper. Ongoing discussion about which is more important, front suspension or dropper. I still haven't tried one, so obviously I am an expert.

I can't believe the folks on MTBR, just read one comment where the guy would rather not bike than do it without a dropper. Ongoing discussion about which is more important, front suspension or dropper.
Wasteful Idiocy, Defined

I had a bunch of their stickers at one time and stuck them upside-down in urinals around The West.

MeeTBuRr is my biggest addiction. Except for drugs, alcohol, nicotine, and this place. I'm trying to kick it, haven't been on in days. I make too many friends there.

Latest posts

Back