can't find the correct chain guard - schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
twomorestrokes said:
max210 said:
hmm. The tabs for the chain guards way too short to bend.

I agree. Not possible for it to bend back that far and stay attached.

i happen to disagree. i've seen that tab bent and the hole elongated. i hammered it back into place and got the guard on. that guard you took a picture of looks tweaked, maybe you can straighten that out a bit.

Guess if you've seen it I won't argue. I'm sitting next to a '62 Typhoon frame and I can't imagine how it could get bent back as far as the photo shows that it's off.

:? Somebody could have tried to take it off with something like this-
bike3%20023.jpg
[/quote]

i have a 1962 schwinn american 26in middleweight on my bench right now. i measured the distance between the two chainguard mounting holes, and got 17 1/2 inches center to center. both of the tabs and chainguard are straight and fit together properly. see what measurement you get and let us know.

twomorestrokes said:
As for chain guards, they should be interchangeable on postwar 26" bikes I believe. 17 1/2" between front and rear mount. Same on my '52 Hornet guard (heavyweight), '57 and '58 Jags (middlewight), '62 Typhoons, etc. What does your bike measure between the mounts?

twomorestrokes said:
twomorestrokes said:
As for chain guards, they should be interchangeable on postwar 26" bikes I believe. 17 1/2" between front and rear mount. Same on my '52 Hornet guard (heavyweight), '57 and '58 Jags (middlewight), '62 Typhoons, etc. What does your bike measure between the mounts?

good advice! :)

I put this aside for a while. I want to get the correct guard. The hole to hole dimension is 17" not 17.5" like phanton style gaurd or the later corvette I posted a picture of. So here's an experiment, I'm hoping you guys can help. If you have a "hockey stick" style guard, can you measure the hole to hole dimension for me please? I have a strong feeling it's 17 inches and that is the correct guard for my bike. I'm not trying to restore this bike to 100%, i'm just trying to find one that fits without having to mod anything. Thanks!

This is the hockey stick style
redhockey.jpg

Edit: forgot to say PLEaSE!

I have one identical to that, I'll go measure it, Nice and rusty too. It measures 17.5 inches from hole to hole. The rear bracket could be drilled to make it fit though. Mine is off of a '56 American girl's frame.

P8050086.jpg

Latest posts

Back