Cantilever Beam chop

Dec 10, 2019
PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, This is the first build I am putting up and I am a complete noob.
The last bike I customized was a Stingray with extended fork tubes, cut and jammed on to create a chopper in the late 60's as a kid.
Now I want to build several ideas I have running around my head. This is the first.
I want to use an old Softride 26" frame and stretch the rear and have it accept a 26" fat tire.The front end is a cantilever
mountain fork with single shock and disc brake. I also want to run Tri-athlon bars w/ brake levers where the shifters would normally be for a comfortalbe cockpit due to Arthritis
making standard bars difficult. If that wasn't enough, I want to make it center drive electric.
My question is, how to extend the rear? I have a 110 welder but have not tried to use it on a bike frame.
I would like any input on this as it will be a kick to get this thing on the road.
Thanks.

Attachments

Jun 13, 2015
US occupied MA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This sounds awesome!

I think I would connect the dropouts of a wishbone rear triangle from a junk bike to the new wheel's axle and have the junk bike's chain stays pivot off the Softride's dropouts. The seat stays of the junk triangle could be either hard-mounted or use a coilover shock between the wishbone of the seat stays to the Softride frame using a U-channel bracket that mounted to the Softride's seatstay/top tube via the two braze ons there (though I'm not 100% sure they'd be strong enough, they could be drilled through the tubing to be through-bolted or you could just weld it). I don't know, that's just my first idea and those usually end up being revised when I actually start building something, so take that for whatever it's worth.

Dec 10, 2019
PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MattiThundrr, I will sell the Girvin if you help me find my dream bike that inspired it....a Moto Parillia Carbon SUV that I can afford. :)
Duchess, I appreciate the advice, I will give it a try.
Thanks Everyone.

Dec 10, 2019
PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the P-51 and I totally see the inspiration and influence on the Moto Parilla, if we’re talkin custom bikes my hart belongs to the Martn Bros. Biker build off bike...

Reactions: RustyGold