Cantilever Beam chop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, This is the first build I am putting up and I am a complete noob.
The last bike I customized was a Stingray with extended fork tubes, cut and jammed on to create a chopper in the late 60's as a kid.
Now I want to build several ideas I have running around my head. This is the first.
I want to use an old Softride 26" frame and stretch the rear and have it accept a 26" fat tire.The front end is a cantilever
mountain fork with single shock and disc brake. I also want to run Tri-athlon bars w/ brake levers where the shifters would normally be for a comfortalbe cockpit due to Arthritis
making standard bars difficult. If that wasn't enough, I want to make it center drive electric.
My question is, how to extend the rear? I have a 110 welder but have not tried to use it on a bike frame.
I would like any input on this as it will be a kick to get this thing on the road.
Thanks.

Attachments

• mock up 1.jpg
    mock up 1.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 158
My input?
SELL ME THAT GIRVIN!!Lol
Seriously, cool idea you are planning. Not too many of those softride frames out there, can't wait to see what you come up with

This sounds awesome!

I think I would connect the dropouts of a wishbone rear triangle from a junk bike to the new wheel's axle and have the junk bike's chain stays pivot off the Softride's dropouts. The seat stays of the junk triangle could be either hard-mounted or use a coilover shock between the wishbone of the seat stays to the Softride frame using a U-channel bracket that mounted to the Softride's seatstay/top tube via the two braze ons there (though I'm not 100% sure they'd be strong enough, they could be drilled through the tubing to be through-bolted or you could just weld it). I don't know, that's just my first idea and those usually end up being revised when I actually start building something, so take that for whatever it's worth.

MattiThundrr, I will sell the Girvin if you help me find my dream bike that inspired it....a Moto Parillia Carbon SUV that I can afford. :)
Duchess, I appreciate the advice, I will give it a try.
Thanks Everyone.

I do like the P-51 and I totally see the inspiration and influence on the Moto Parilla, if we’re talkin custom bikes my hart belongs to the Martn Bros. Biker build off bike...

Latest posts

Back