BO15 Carcass

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Can you put a old shirt in vinegar and salt, make it really wet and lay it over your frame? I could get quite smelly. "
What would be the purpose of such witchery? :)

I am happy that the BMX headset worked because I don't think that metal band (LOL not "heavy metal" band) would have lasted long.
I charged my cordless drill and just tried to drill the extension. I was afraid that the drill would be too weak, but it will work. I didn't drill them now though because I am getting ready for work and I know it won't be the 5 minute job I assume it to be. Because then I will want to see how it fits, then I will search for bolts to mock it up... So it stays for tomorrow plus a trip to the hardware store for bolts.

And I was right. It took me 50 minutes to drill both sides. I used two different size drill (bits?) and a chipped screwdriver.
I need to get another drill bit because the holes I made fit bolts a size smaller that I would prefer. I must have one at my mom's place though.
IMG_20200815_125828.jpg

IMG_20200815_125836.jpg

I am happy they line up nicely, I hope when I insert the wheel later it will be pretty centered and won't require much additional intervention.
I want to use the same size bolts as a quill stem because then I can use these stem nuts to finish the extension:
IMG_20200815_130451.jpg

To be continued later after a quest for bolts and washers.

Of course I just had to see how it would work:
IMG_20200815_170935.jpg

I love using these nuts from the V brakes. I don't use v brakes and I got a few of my donors with them so I still have some left.
I also got me the needed hardware in abundance from the hardware store, so I can follow through with the original plan.
IMG_20200816_115658.jpg

I think I will use the safety nuts first and then finish them off with the stem nuts. I couldn't find a short enough double ended bolt for the seat stays/seat clamp, I want to have these nuts on both sides as at the extension. I did not want to spend a few bucks on the threaded rod, but I should have. I have one from a seat, however badly stripped. I will search for more, if not next week I will go get one.

Since it is Sunday no drilling today.
But I mocked it up. Played around with some parts. I think this stem might be a bit too shiny though.
IMG_20200816_124356.jpg
IMG_20200816_123449.jpg
IMG_20200816_122313.jpg

I will try the witkopp moped seat from the fully too. I think the Lepper is a little too elaborated.
These bars are a possibility:
IMG_20200816_124409.jpg

The problem is that the length of the grip part is too short.
IMG_20200816_124644.jpg

Using them would mean a frame mounted shifter. I don't particularly like idea behind it, but it would keep the bars clean. They would have to be sanded down too.

That's it.
IMG_20200816_142815.jpg
IMG_20200816_143029.jpg

My stem adapter (1" to 11/8") is a bit too long and should be trimmed with 3-4 mm, which would allow me to drop the rockers a bit to have the desired line.
So next step is installing a bsa BB and figuring out the chain line. My eye mesarument super skills that have failed me only 50% of the time say it is gonna run just fine, probably due to the generous spacing.
However I can't find an answer to the question what exact length of the BB I need. Anyone? 68 mm BB housing.
That seat is just a placeholder.

Last edited:
I wanted this particular seat post, but I discovered that I had stripped the seat clamp/collar bolt. Luckily I was able to unscrew it a bit so at least I had enough room to cut through and replace it with a good one.
IMG_20200818_102422.jpg
IMG_20200818_112259.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted this particular seat post, but I discovered that I had stripped the seat clamp/collar bolt. Luckily I was able to unscrew it a bit so at least I had enough room to cut through and replace it with a good one.
View attachment 133954
I like the look of the bike in general!
You will need quite a long chain with the extra length I guess.

The salt/vinegar wet T-shirt is for speeding up the rust process, true witchcraft :thumbsup:

That is flowing so nicely! Love the Lepper on there too.

I really like the use of the quill sections on this.

My BB arrived but I was just leaving for work so I will play with it tonight. Needless to say the delivery fella came just as I was coming from the shower, but I told him from the window to just leave it there.
I am thrilled about the chain route.
IMG_20200826_110250.jpg

I am sanding the dropouts and the extension.
IMG_20200826_110423.jpg
IMG_20200826_110417.jpg

Obviously I won't be able to do it 100% bare metal, but I don't need to. I won't even try the chain guard tabs and the headset cups.
I still have to do the handlebars grips section though, but tubing is easy.

To be honest I am not quite sure about the headlight. I am thinking of two smaller lamps in twin configuration. If I recall correctly a double Springer does work well with vertical twin lamps.
Tomorrow will be the test ride and photo session.
What I did finish today is as follows:
1. I installed the bsa BB and it went without a problem. I was happy to discover that the unknown crankset turned out to be JIS in the end and matched the BB.
IMG_20200829_225826.jpg

2. I finished sanding the extension piece and mounted it, but I used regular nuts under the quill stem nuts so I can tighten them properly.
IMG_20200829_225809.jpg

So I got the drive train running:
IMG_20200829_225832.jpg

3. I sanded the grips area of the handlebars. It went amazingly easy after the torture that the extension and frame dropouts were. I want to keep these handlebars clean so no grips, no shifter, metal bar ends.
IMG_20200829_225758.jpg

4. I found an easy way to attach the coaster brake reaction arm to the frame:
IMG_20200829_225910.jpg

5. I bolted that reflector to the extension. I like it, but I am not sure I want it on this bike. Or no headlight and no reflector?
IMG_20200829_225946.jpg

6. And finally, since I want the bars clean and I still want to shift I will make a compromise with myself (the other being no front brake) and I will mount the shifter on the frame.
Mock up / proof of concept. Thanks, to the guy who decided 1" is a good size for the top tube.
IMG_20200829_231152.jpg

I will get a shorter stem I have from my daily tomorrow (I want to rework the bars anyway) so the shifter is closer to the tank hole and higher too. I have an idea how to make a lever for it.

I gave up the idea for a frame mounted shifter. I didn't like how the cable ran, also the shifting became heavy. Also I checked how to install the shifter, as in cut the cable and reattach it to the click box, and decided that I don't have the time for trial and error. I tried to make it work the way it was, but while fiddling with it I accidentally disassembled it.
Oops.
tenor.gif

So a spring flew out, which luckily didn't get immediately lost. I found a good detailed video of full disassembly and reassembly. In the end I was forced to open the click box, remove the cable partially so I can get access to the inside part of the shifter and put a tiny part back in its place. Then put the shifter back together, anything but intuitive. I cut the cable anyway, since I had to reattach it again. I decided in the end on the shifter mounted on the handlebars and left some length for a higher handlebars position.
IMG_20200830_223003.jpg
IMG_20200830_234649.jpg

I also found a kickstand and bolted it on. I would say it is done. In the morning will take it for a spin and will shoot some outdoor pics.
And still can't decide on the headlight. Duh.

I am blown away! I loved how the carcass turned out. I went through the whole thread and wow, what an evolution. The extension really brought it all out on display.
But I didn't expect it to be in the top 10. My last / first build off bike came 54th I think. That one didn't end well. It found itself a victim of a most gruesome violation before it died. It was the extension donor.
Thank you guys who voted for me.

But now that it is over I can show you where it is going:
IMG_20200911_231742.jpg

I robbed my Felt Haribo of the Brooks seat.
I removed the headlight because of the weight and because I am not happy with the bracket. I will probably get a moped light, they are as big, come in chrome or hopefully silver and are very light, also take a LED bulbs. Cheap too.
I rearranged the spacers and washers a bit, also removed the ugly "extasy" logo from the spacers:
IMG_20200911_234026.jpg

It is a little higher in the front, 5-10 mm, not noticeable, but the headset area looks a bit better than before. I also raised the stem, a beaut really this stem, VERY adjustable; shame it is in chrome and not silver.
IMG_20200911_232302.jpg
IMG_20200911_232105.jpg
IMG_20200911_231949.jpg

I have to install a drum brake wheel in the front, but not quite sure I could make it work easily. I might run in some clearance issues. I do have two wheels to choose from so we'll see how it goes. Also a shame because I love the contrast between the gear hub in the rear and the thin front hub.
So I plan to take it for a spin tomorrow, shoot some pics, test the riding position. I also plan to do the same with the fully so stay tuned folks :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back