Careful of the 'OUTLAW!' (RIDING AT LAST!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it, and I wonder if hooking up the leaf would help it feel more solid. I know the rockers on my rat trap have shoulder bolts with bushings and I can see how that tightens it up. Those are some long rockers too, makes your bike an inch longer than Harlequin T! The drawing makes it look spindley and in actuality it's not, and I think that's what bugging you. It looks pretty heavy.

Carl. (I still like it...)
Shorter rockers would stiffen it up too, if I've got the leverage in my head right...

Carl.
There is not much play there as it is, but I am sure any play will be magnified by the lengths involved. Shorter rockers would stiffen it up, but the leaf spring is pretty hefty anyway, that is why I went for the long rockers...

Dragged it out today for better pics, was going for my usual front porch short when I got stung on my ear by a paper wasp, so I abandoned that and took a pic against the Datsun instead:

2017-03-09 16.41.17.jpg

I think I could make it work and look good, but it is still weight and complication that the bike doesn't need and I don't really want. Does that make sense?

Edited it up to show without suspension:

2017-03-09 16.41.17NoSuspension.jpg

I like them both, the suspension has grown on me, but I know the version without it will be the more practical and nicer to ride bike, it also appears to work well for trail...

There is not much play there as it is, but I am sure any play will be magnified by the lengths involved. Shorter rockers would stiffen it up, but the leaf spring is pretty hefty anyway, that is why I went for the long rockers...

Dragged it out today for better pics, was going for my usual front porch short when I got stung on my ear by a paper wasp, so I abandoned that and took a pic against the Datsun instead:

View attachment 47199

I think I could make it work and look good, but it is still weight and complication that the bike doesn't need and I don't really want. Does that make sense?

Edited it up to show without suspension:

View attachment 47201

I like them both, the suspension has grown on me, but I know the version without it will be the more practical and nicer to ride bike, it also appears to work well for trail...
looks good without , i really like your leaf spring idea , but hangs a little to low imo , also look like the handling would be bether without , sometimes beauty is in the simplicity

It's rolling!

2017-03-13 17.40.37.jpg

The tubes that did have the nylon bushes in turned out the right size to just weld washers to the back of and slot them for the axle, so attaching the wheel to the fork was easy in the end!

Notice the frame is pointing down towards the front, by the time the tire gets on the front wheel it should be level.

Also welded in a widened bottom bracket, I saw this trick somewhere on the site, someone welded a wide Beast BB into an older frame by just flipping the bearing cups and welding them to the outside, makes a nice finish and you don't have to worry about getting everything level as it is a tight fit and can only be level:

2017-03-13 17.39.36.jpg

About to order some brake discs, hope to get the tire fitted in the next few days and then finish the BB and make a seat and it should be pretty close to rideable!

I simply wont have time for paint and leather before the deadline, but riding, steering and stopping will make me happy!

That's genius, the opening of the bearing cups is the same diameter as the wider bottom bracket. That actually solved a problem for a future build I have in mind.:113::39:
Yeah, it is cool! Not my idea though, someone did it a year or two ago, not sure who, but it was filed away in my brain... ;)

Looks like I have left ordering the brakes a bit late, went into town today to try and chase some and everyone is out of stock. :confused:

Risky to chase on ebay with the amount of time remaining, so I dug through my stash and came up with 4 mismatched calipers, 1 203mm disc and 3 mismatched 160mm discs...

So... It will have brakes, but they wont be the final versions... :21:
Probably just fit up the 203mm on the back with one of the better calipers.

Dropped off the front wheel and tire to get fitted up today too.

I want to see this thing sitting properly!
2017-03-14 18.20.07.jpg
2017-03-14 18.20.37.jpg

Turned out chunkier than I expected, the spokes look a bit undersize now!
Will try get a mock up on the bike tomorrow.

I like !!! the frame is level :113: thin spokes is like the classic chopper/dragster rims :nod::thumbsup::41:

That's genius, the opening of the bearing cups is the same diameter as the wider bottom bracket. That actually solved a problem for a future build I have in mind.:113::39:

Yeah I like that too, nice idea, tricky problem solved and looks cool as well!
As for the bike, way cool LTJ you keep knocking them outta the park mate!

My wife went to bed around 10pm, I was still wide awake, kinda bored...

Next thing you know I'm outside welding and grinding!
(Don't worry, it didn't wake my wife...) ;)

Added the side supports for the bottom bracket:

2017-03-16 01.38.03.jpg

2017-03-16 01.38.52.jpg

Decided I had better check there was room for a 203mm disc at the rear wheel:

2017-03-16 01.39.46.jpg

There is, but only just! :whew:

I guess I need to build handlebars next time, then I can go for ride!

Latest posts

Back