Carolina MotoBike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I needed a frame for an old motor I bought a while back so I've finally started building. I'm building it as the fictional Carolina Motor-Cycle Co. lightweight single. It isn't a replica, it is my own design based on what would be authentic looking for about 1910-1917. This will be a standard road model, not a board track racer. I started with a cheap rusty girls frame, I think it's rollfast built.
motoframepre.jpg

After I cut it up I came up with a really cool idea. What was once the top bar was flipped around and not only looked cool, but provided 2 points to secure it to the rear half including the original cast lug for the lower tube. I feel this should make a very strong section.
motoframepre1.jpg

The basic layout is something like this. The wheelbase is increased significantly, and a little more rake is added. There will be plenty of room for the motor and its accessory's. The longer frame also provides room between the motor and pedals which should help with clearance issues.
newframe1.jpg

Here it is with the top bar set in to give you an idea of what the frame will look like. The two top frame bars are thicker than your standard bicycle tubing and should help stiffen the frame up. The loop frame connections have internal lugs and the center connection is pinned.
motoframe4.jpg

I still need to do a little more filing before welding the two top tubes, but this is the basic frame layout.
Motobike8.jpg

The tank is going to be tough, it's quite large and I have little experience with sheet metal work.

SSG said:
The tank is going to be tough, it's quite large and I have little experience with sheet metal work.
You could buy a cylindrical spun aluminum tank, mount it between the bars, then cut some plates to fill up the area fore and aft of it.

The frame is almost finished. I still need to do the motor mounts and possibly modify the rear stays to clear the pulley. Here's a mock up of the motor size in relation to the frame.
motobike9.jpg

I've been working on the dimensions of the tank templates. I've got the width and rear half the way i want it, but the front area will need some redesigning where it tapers inward. The tank is 5" wide, and around 31 inches long. Its going to have flat sides like an Excelsior.
motobike10.jpg

motobike12.jpg

And this is going to be part of the jack-shaft/clutch. The offset should allow the engine to be centered in the frame and still have a straight belt to the wheel pulley. It's part of an old mower.
motobike11.jpg

I've started the tank in metal. I changed the angles around and managed to get the front part looking like I wanted. I also straightened the original fork.
motobike13.jpg

Very cool idea man 8) ! I like the motor alot. Where did it come from???

Amazing build, It will definitely be very useful for my next build, basically the same project.

Love how you managed to transform that ladys frame into a racer, very slick. I´ll probably be starting with a basic man´s schwinn frame, that if I get my home made bender to work... we´ll see. If not, I may try your way; this is my goal:
model11k.jpg

I´ve been considering the idea of placing a trimmer´s or mower´s fuel tank inside a metal (or fibreglass) fake tank, in which I´ll also place the battery and small glove box.

So, you lead the way :wink:

I'm also considering using a mower fuel tank inside of the steel tank, then the empty part can be a tool box. This would avoid any sealing problems with the tank. I just need to find one that will fit.

Thank you very much for that link. Not much of an update but I purchased a used set of worksman wheels which are perfect for this bike.
motobike20.jpg

The design of the worksman rims are very similar to the ones used on early motorcycles. The extra strength will be great for motorized use.

Latest posts

Back