CCM CHALLENGER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I forgot all about the MMBO. Life has been busy for everyone, but this is always a welcome distraction. I was reminded by CRASH that one should always have multiple builds on the go. So, last night I started laying out parts and pieces to see what I could build. I actually just finished one of my favourite muscle bike builds to date. You might have already seen my custom 26/20 Vista Grasshopper.

pic_1.jpg
grasshopper_ad.jpg

I laid out two frames last night and it got the wheels turning. Tonight I took another bike down from the rafters, a pretty ratty 'franken' CCM Charger that I pieced together with spare parts. My idea with this one is a custom built CCM CHALLENGER, a model that CCM never built but should have. I'm thinking purple candy powder, with some special touches. The original charger is a 24/20 muscle bike, but I'm upgrading this one to 24/24, for two reasons. One, I have some special tires in mind for this build, and two, the 20" fork is toast and I had the perfect donor fork from this old CCM swinger my Aunt picked up on the side of the road. Thanks Aunt April!!

IMG_2122.JPG
IMG_2123.JPG
IMG_2124.JPG
IMG_2125.JPG
IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2127.JPG
ccm_charger_1970.jpg

For those of you that are not familiar with CCM bikes, they are the basically to Canadians, what Schwinns are to Americans. There are quite a few different models, and CCM even partnered with an American company to sell rebadged CCMs as GTR bikes. Lots of cool history and documentation on this stuff. Anyway, the American version of the CCM Charger is called the GTR Sidewinder. Chargers were available with a 2 speed duomatic hub, a 3 speed sturmey archer hub, or a coaster. I think the CHALLENGER will be a 5 speed. Why not? I'm a big fan and collector of vintage muscle bike shifters, and I think it's the icing on the cake of a muscle bike build.

Attachments

• IMG_2127.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG
    466 KB · Views: 123
Yes, another CCM build! Lots of fun memories on them, and their cousin, Supercycle.
But you keep showing me this, without telling me about it!
View attachment 140328
Especially curious about the middle one! Is it Canadian?
The middle frame is and early ROSS tor-o-nado frame. It's pre-dates the muscle bike frames and is actually longer than the frames I've seen for other Ross tor-o-nado models. I was hoping to use this one, but my guard is still stuck in the states with all of the parts I've been buying since March. I want to get the frames to powder ASAP, so that one might be waiting for another build off.

Sitting at the bottom of the threads with nothing to do until my bikes come back from paint. I thought I'd share some updates to my garage. I'm going to enjoy building my bikes in my updated space with new storage and display!! Also pulled down an old convertible supercycle banana seat bike for my daughter to try out. I bought it at a yard sale 10 years ago for $1. My nephew used it when he was little and now it's my daughters turn. She insisted I install a horn on it. Please enjoy... back soon when my frames are painted...

P.S. Will buy and trade for shifters and accessories!! :)

IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2175.JPG
IMG_2176.JPG
IMG_2181.JPG
IMG_2182.JPG
IMG_2183.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG
IMG_2236.JPG
IMG_2241.JPG
IMG_2255.JPG
IMG_2256.JPG
IMG_2257.JPG
IMG_2258.JPG
IMG_2259.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2171.JPG
    IMG_2171.JPG
    482.3 KB · Views: 125
Sitting at the bottom of the threads with nothing to do until my bikes come back from paint. I thought I'd share some updates to my garage. I'm going to enjoy building my bikes in my updated space with new storage and display!! Also pulled down an old convertible supercycle banana seat bike for my daughter to try out. I bought it at a yard sale 10 years ago for $1. My nephew used it when he was little and now it's my daughters turn. She insisted I install a horn on it. Please enjoy... back soon when my frames are painted...

P.S. Will buy and trade for shifters and accessories!! :)

View attachment 142209View attachment 142210View attachment 142211View attachment 142212View attachment 142213View attachment 142214View attachment 142215View attachment 142216View attachment 142217View attachment 142218View attachment 142219View attachment 142220View attachment 142221View attachment 142222View attachment 142223
Amazing space!!! Museum and store front feel

Diggin' the updated space and displays, J ! It would be fun to see in person sometime.
Little girl's bike looks like a hit with your daughter. That's cool.

Back in business. Finally got my two frames back from powder coat!! THE PURPLE IS KILLER!!! Can't wait to start piecing these bikes together over the holiday. Santa came early for me. Stay tuned for a second build thread for the red frame.

frames.jpg

Started building my wheels the other night. I ended up going a different route than initially planned. I was thinking of making a straight 24" racing style muscle bike by utilizing the 5 speed wheel set from this 24" Japanese road bike. When I got the frame back and saw the purple, I just felt the bike needed a tougher looking stance. For now I've decided to go 24/20 and use my 24" Jerald Sulky slick that I didn't end up using on my Vista Grasshopper build from June. Strangely enough I'm still paying for those tires. Just the other day I got a brokerage bill from Fedex for $58. The invoice was dated Dec 8th, even though I got the shipment in June. Must be a COVID back log thing. FRIG!! Anyway, this bike will also have a 20" grasshopper slick on the front. At least, this is what I have planned for the moment.

IMG_2118.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2970.JPG

Building the wheels went pretty smooth considering I had to use rims and spokes that I had on hand. What are the chances I'd be able to build wheels without ordering spokes?? Good thing I f'd up measurements on previous builds and was able to randomly get the math to work out for my rims with a 3 cross pattern for the back and a 2 cross pattern on the front.

I was trying to use this rare shimano 5 speed autoshift hub I had, but I cannot figure out how to get it apart to lace it up. I'll be saving that for another time.

IMG_3025.JPG
IMG_3026.JPG

So, the back wheel started with a 36 hole NOS shimano 3 speed hub and a 24 x 2.125 Araya rim. All went well until I realized the hub was not designed to accept the spoke protector I was hoping to use, and then when I went to put the wheel on I realized there was something not spinning right on the hub. I then started to take it apart and couldn't get it back together. FRIG!! I watched a 45 minute re-build video and I realized that I need a specialized tool to get the thing totally apart, which is what I would need to do to get it back together. Plan B. I knew I had an NOS sturmey hub somewhere and it was close enough in hub diameter that I could use the same spokes. Also, it will accept my spoke protector. Problem solved.

IMG_2965.JPG

The front wheel was also pretty straight forward, but I had to use a 20 x 1.75 rim instead of the 20 x 1-3/4 araya rim I was hoping to use. And, as mentioned above, I also had to use a 2 cross pattern when lacing the wheels. It was the only way I could make the math work to use spokes I have on hand. I had a decent front hub that I stole from an oddball size dutch 24" wheel.

IMG_2966.JPG
IMG_2967.JPG
IMG_2968.JPG

The sulky slick is huge and just barley fits the frame, but it will give the bike a solid tough looking stance.

IMG_2977.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

Wheel building in the kitchen after my daughter went to bed. Can't hear anything if I'm out in the garage and if she wakes up she'll think I've abandoned her.

IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG
IMG_2980.JPG

Both frames are on stands. We'll see how the Challenger goes in the next couple weeks. I might have to submit another entry eh CRASH?? The chances are pretty good. Another lockdown is starting Christmas day. Stay tuned...

IMG_2971.JPG

Not sure yet, but I have a 16" araya rim on hand for the possibility of a 24/16. But the likelihood of that happening are not great at this time because I don't have any spokes on hand. I'm not sure if I'll like how low it sits anyway. But..... you never know???

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Attachments

• IMG_2978.JPG
    IMG_2978.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2979.JPG
    IMG_2979.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3013.JPG
    IMG_3013.JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 79
Once I got the wheels built, this build came together quite nicely, but again, it didn't follow the path that I intended. This involved lots of trial and error with lots of different seats and sissy bars and handle bars. Luckily I've been collecting all of these random parts over the years that magically get to come together at a later date. I'll post some of the trials and tribulations here. Your votes won't matter at this point because the bike is complete. I just have to play catch up with documenting the process. Towards the end of this game of dress up, I got the idea to add a wheelie bar. Again, this was not in my original plan, but as I kept trying out parts, it hit me that the wheelie bar was just what I needed to balance out the bike with my final choice of handle bars.

I should also note that picture 2 is a shot of me cleaning all the little bits and pieces. Next time I'll have this done while I'm waiting for the paint job.

IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_3048.JPG
IMG_3049.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3051.JPG
IMG_3052.JPG
IMG_3053.JPG
IMG_3054.JPG
IMG_3055.JPG
IMG_3056.JPG
IMG_3057.JPG
IMG_3058.JPG
IMG_3060.JPG
IMG_3061.JPG
IMG_3202.JPG
IMG_3203.JPG
IMG_3204.JPG
IMG_3205.JPG
IMG_3206.JPG
IMG_3207.JPG
IMG_3208.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG
IMG_3210.JPG

Great looking bike! That frame really lends itself to the staggered wheels. What’s that white seat with the cafe racer vibe? Digging that!

Wow, that's a lot to look at! Beautiful CCM, great selection of parts, the shop full of goodies... Good stuff!

Great looking bike! That frame really lends itself to the staggered wheels. What’s that white seat with the cafe racer vibe? Digging that!
The white seat was definitely a front runner for a while. It's a brooks saddle commonly found on Raleigh models like the Fireball, the Rodeo, or the Sprint. Back in the cabinet for now, like a kitten at the humane society.

I spent a lot of time farting around with different sissy bars and configurations to get the wheelie bar just right. I was so into it, that I didn't take pics of all of the different setups. In the end, I feel like the bars I had on hand were destined to unite to create this wheelie bar. Kind of like all of the elements of Voltron coming together.... ha!!! I thought clearance around the rear axle was going to be an issue, but everything worked out okay. I almost exhausted my supply of half inch sissy bar brackets for this part. It took 4 sets to piece everything together.

They day I started making this, we had just gone into lockdown. Going to the hardware store for the 6" bolt I needed wasn't happening. I rummaged around my basement and found nothing. I went to my dad's basement and found one random bolt that I thought might be long enough. I stopped by to see my nephew for a couple sets of skateboard wheels, which I kinda knew I wasn't going to use as soon as I saw them. I then went to my brother's house to look around his shop and luckily I stumbled upon the perfect wheels. Two shop castors were just the solution that I didn't know I was looking for.

I went back home with the parts, and put them into play. I struggled with the bolt I had for the wheelie bar axle because it was half an inch too short. Then I remembered that my through bolt on the Raleigh Chopper style seat was too long. Simple switch and little more thread on each end and my problem was solved. All without having to go to the hardware store!!

I bought the chrome struts that I used for the bracing about 4 years ago intending to use them for a sissy bar. They worked perfectly and I'm really happy with how the lines of the wheelie bar follow the lines of the top tube and the chain stays.

And, the location of the wheels magically ended up providing the optimal wheelie angle without even planning it that way. Sometimes a build is just meant to be.
IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3212.JPG
IMG_3213.JPG
IMG_3215.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG
IMG_3217.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3212.JPG
    IMG_3212.JPG
    500.8 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts

Back