Chain guard on a bike without mounts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a pair of builds I'm working on for this winter that I'd like to add chain guards to, but the frames lack the mounts. I know there are a few manufacturers making plastic chain guards that mount directly to the frame tubing, but I'm not really interested in the aesthetics of a plastic chain guard.

I haven't attempted doing this before; I'm sure I can get by just fine with a few p-clamps, but I just wanted to see if anyone here has come up with any clever or intersting mounting solutions.

Place a add in the wanted forum with a pic. Of your bike
Ther are more than a few options as far as aftermarket
Guards, i'm sure someone here
Can help you...

~Rafael~

Hawthorn/Rollfast/D.P. Harris built bikes had a nice heavy duty mount to the bottom bracket, very solid no rattles. :)
chainguard_zpsmuvrxmni.jpg

Just search ebay for chain guard brackets / mounts. They have some universal kits available fairly cheap.

Just search ebay for chain guard brackets / mounts. They have some universal kits available fairly cheap.

Perfect. It would appear that Wald #426 is what I'm looking for, but it's either no longer manufactured, or American outlets just aren't carrying it. Either, way, it looks like there are a few Ebay sellers selling copies of the part, and we're not talking about an ultra-precision part here, so a copy is good enough for me :).

Yeah, Wald quit making that part a while back, but there's still quite a bit of NOS examples out there, plus knock-offs, etc. #426 is actually the hardware kit; they made the chainguard in various sizes (#616 for 16" bikes, #620 for 20", #600 for 24/26", and #656 for lightweights, etc...)and basically the guards were attached using the #426 hardware. You can probably get an NOS 26" guard on eBay for just a little bit too much money....

I have a Hawthorne that didn't have a guard on it, and I also had a matching patina Schwinn hockey stick guard. I rigged up something with a brake arm strap for the rear mount, and a simple L bracket with a self tapping screw for the front. https://flic.kr/p/pCtQxQ - Adam

Maybe you can get some ideas from this. I drilled a hole in the bottom bracket. The second bolt is just glued in. I've also drilled holes in the bb of other bikes and used a l bracket to mount a Schwinn style chainguard.

P1000493.JPG

Flexible strapping with a more solid piece of metal behind it but it doesn't wrap around.
P1000500.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back