"Chain of Fools" (complete)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "Chain of Fools"

The hardest part is done. It took as many as SIX hands to get this right. I positioned it, Peterbuilt applied rearward pressure (tension) and my son welded. It had to be welded with the chain on. First I had to get the right angle, so gears line up. Then make sure there's no slack in the chain, while welding. I've tried bending it to see if it flexes, so far so good, not budging. To remove the chain, remove the front gear like a set of handle bars, or undo nut and race on rear head tube and let steering tube drop out (gear is welded to steering tube).....I know..It looks dangerous, sorta suicidal, but I'll put it through a number of tests before I ride it "seriously". Body work and paint next. Then all new running gear (18 spd)....And HEY! I actually FIT on this bike! :D

002-51.jpg

005-22.jpg

Re: "Chain of Fools" (chain set)

Walker said:
I'm thinking either a spotlight mounted to the front cog or a manequin head would be nifty
As long as it's NOT one of my fingers! :lol:

Walker said:
I'm thinking either a spotlight mounted to the front cog or a manequin head would be nifty

A maneguin Head with glowing red eyes for headlights.

If you get tired of those bars, Try some mustache bars.

All this trouble and you could've just done a spooky tooth like me! :p

Looks great, I like the idea of a steering headlight in the front. Seriously though, straight fork and bar spins!

For other chain tensioning ideas someone could do this with a garage door chain tensioner with a pre-loaded spring you release or a small turnbuckle since the chain won't have to cycle.

Or you could just do it all clean like you did. :roll:

aka_locojoe said:
That is really cool. I did that similar steering set up on my gravity racer but it's 3 sprockets
Now I remember that!...Must have been buried in my subconscious.

I love the mechanical look of the steering chain,Great job 8)

c3lucero said:
thats gonna be an interesting first ride
That's what Orville Wright said to Wilbur.

Besides, I've already lived a "full" life. :roll:

true the only way to perfect something is to ops check it. almost anything sounds/looks good on paper lol. have fun with it.

Re: "Chain of Fools" (painted?)

Body work and paint done...Gray primer, with a couple coats of FLAT clear.

001-59.jpg

This site never ceases to amaze me!! Well done KOTA !! Kwazy Wratter strikes again!! Peace

I love the long low classic bars you had on it, that thing is gonna look strange with your new idea, how will it steer exactly?

Carbon said:
I love the long low classic bars you had on it, that thing is gonna look strange with your new idea, how will it steer exactly?
I liked the way it looked also. But it wasn't so comfortable, had to lean to far forward. Actually I like the way this is going to look....Just a weird bike. Not ready to get rid of it yet. :lol:

Latest posts

Back