Chain rubbing tire... Help please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a cruiser bike with an added engine kit and find that the chain is rubbing the tire. Can anyone offer me possible solutions? Can I add another rubber bushing to move the sprocket over without messing up the alignment of of the engine with the chain ring? Thanks.

Patrick
eyiaS7d8j

Ok, thanks for the help. I guess that I have to figure things out for myself. Loosening up the wheel and adjusting it a bit seems to help, but I don't know how long it will last. I have to check it every time I ride.

The idler is leaning in.. That's all I can tell by picture provided. Possible the engine could be slightly too far ,,right.there are several things that will cause chain to hit tire. is it hitting all the way around? If not, maybe it's because the rim has areas needing spoke alignment.:39::cry:.

The idler is leaning in.. That's all I can tell by picture provided. Possible the engine could be slightly too far ,,right.there are several things that will cause chain to hit tire. is it hitting all the way around? If not, maybe it's because the rim has areas needing spoke alignment.:39::cry:.
The wheel is true, I did realign the wheel and I now get about 3/8" clearance from the chain. I plan on testing it out for a longer ride to see if it stays aligned. I do need to check the idler to see if it is aligned as well. Thanks for your input. I am new at this and appreciate any suggestions that I can get to resolve this. It is still cold here and I don't go riding until I am comfortable. It's old age, I guess.

I need to check that. Thanks for pointing it out.

I cant see the picture but i am betting the chain you got with the kit is still stretching, if you look into a "springed idle tensioner for gas bikes" you will have a solution to your problem.

You also might want to pull the mounting screws on the engine and replace them with steel bolts, the originals will break.

1125ffe0dd3a5ba48b34f8c8fb6d4445.jpg

I cant see the picture but i am betting the chain you got with the kit is still stretching, if you look into a "springed idle tensioner for gas bikes" you will have a solution to your problem.

You also might want to pull the mounting screws on the engine and replace them with steel bolts, the originals will break.

1125ffe0dd3a5ba48b34f8c8fb6d4445.jpg
What bolts are you referring to? The four studs on the motor mounts?

Latest posts

Back