Cheap and easy shifter mount and stickshift conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick update- I had a problem with the shifter on one of my bikes slipping off. Gluing it in place would work but I came up with an idea that keeps the shift knob removable. I found one of these long bmx style bar end plugs in my tool box

the rest is easy. Just remove the shifter knob and drill a hole in the end of the shifter cap big enough for the bar end plug to slip in freely. Reinstall and add the plug...

and viola! The knob stays put!
any chance you could build one of these for me, or let me know where that brass knob is found, I plan to steam punk my bike and that would look perfect on it

any chance you could build one of these for me, or let me know where that brass knob is found, I plan to steam punk my bike and that would look perfect on it
The brass knob came from my local Hardware store. If you're lucky you can find them at a local flea market too. everything else pretty much came from Home Depot

I mounted mine a little different. I used an old set of bars and ground down a 1" steer tube star nut (took a couple mins)
star%2Bnut%2Bin%2Bhandle%2Bbar%2Btube.jpg

grind%2Bto%2Bfit%2Bframe.jpg

Used a screw and finish washer(also bent to match frame) and a piece of double stick tape between post and frame to help lock in place.
mounted%2Bto%2Bframe.jpg

viola.jpg

Still need to route cables for cleaner look and decide on a shifter type but its operational
90%25%2Bcomplete%2B%282%29.jpg

90%25%2Bcomplete.jpg

34gqyyp.jpg

orl576.jpg

34s19a1.jpg

Welp, I went with the Hose clamp mount and Seat clamp for the Shifter, I wanted a Small stick shift so I Used an #8-32 x 3" Screw and added some Rod screws and a spacer from a derailleur cog before topping it of with a Silver Drawer knob. i wanted to use the PVC cap but it was too small for my shifter (Shimano Revoshift 7 speed) asnd I also was hoping to use a rubber chair leg cover, but it was too soft to shift with a stick attached, worked fine by itself though :p I wanted to use a screw in Bar end cap but i was fresh out, so for now i used part of a bmx grip, a lock washer from a 1" fork, and a Regular handlebar cap to cover the end. Took 3 attempts total to get my mount stiff, having to work with just a hacksaw, pipe cutter and some vice grips and I lucked out :D

I'm having a heck of a time getting this set up since I don't really have the gear or spare handlebars to cut pipes and stuff. Does anyone know of an alternative for the mounting? Something that's not the ridiculously priced HBBC mount? Would using a similarly sized PVC pipe work? I feel like that might be too flimsy long term but it's better than nothing (I guess?)

Any thoughts?

Do you have an old stem laying around? I used a small BMX stem as a mount for my 'suicide' shifter, chose to not add a stick, but was going to go the seatpost clamp route like Thunda did.
fea448264ce0df001244720d7111f327.jpg

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm...that's a good idea! I don't have one laying around myself but there's a cheapo used bike parts shop in Portland where I could probably pick one up for cheap. That would be a lot sturdier than the PVC alternative.

Thanks!

OK, here goes... I started with this 22.2 mm BMX stem
24cd3bf807b6008473b25489aa80990e.jpg

The GripShift slid right on, so I cut the stem off to the proper length, slid the shifter on and capped it with a threadless stem cap.
Due to the frame style, I chose to mount it to the seat stay. I cut a length of old rim strip and wrapped the stay as a shim to the stem. It didn't fit the seat tube or it would have gone there. Hope this makes sense, I took crappy pictures....sorry.
fdc55f00dcfd62f06acf4f3e625ebf1f.jpg

cbb8590d09c9fb6c6562f8eb220ed517.jpg

c23dca41d37bb85f66b69e04fbd4415d.jpg

fc457443113b5d9e56f52b677bc33863.jpg

I looked at these and thought it was a great idea too, until I built a couple versions. Are they really working well for you guys? I found it way too floppy and loose. I didn't like it at all after using it.

I looked at these and thought it was a great idea too, until I built a couple versions. Are they really working well for you guys? I found it way too floppy and loose. I didn't like it at all after using it.
Mine works great and is not loose at all after a year of riding and shifting...

There is a sweet idea brewing I side on this.....well documented and written and Tank has a good version......I picked up a Nexus 7 and am digging a hybrid of all these.....

Will post when I work something out....

Latest posts

Back