Cheap Copper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this ‘68 Coppertone stingray a year or so ago. It’s missing most of it's original parts but it was almost free.
D998E53F-A456-43CC-8D24-5E9FE1EF30E0.jpeg

Around the same time I picked up this girls all pro from an anitique store that was closing up shop. It’s a nice bike on its own, but I bought it as a parts bike for the stingray.
CF5B72F3-3926-48AC-9D41-070FBC551F99.jpeg

I’ve slowly picked up a few parts here and there. The firestone slick on the all pro is in really good shape but I think I’m going to use a 20x3 innova slick. I also got this 20” Hollywood chainguard that I’ll strip to bare metal and clear coat.
5D863B24-8B6A-4759-8742-C6ED92C1700F.jpeg

Well, I’m further along than I got on last year’s MBBO, the bike is completely disassembled. It actually came apart way easier than expected. The last few bikes I have broken down have been nightmares, so it’s nice to have one not fight me. I’ve got all the chrome pieces degreased and soaking in evaporust. Hopefully have them cleaned up tomorrow.
DEEF1F1D-D64D-4BFB-A370-A0C89381F1B1.jpeg

Got the frame and forks cleaned up as best as I could. There was some spray paint on it and different layers of dirt, grime, and grease. I used some super fine grit sandpaper and was able to get most of the spray paint off. After some rubbing compound and a wax the old Schwinn paint shined up pretty good where it was still intact.

IMG_6899.jpg
IMG_6900.jpg

I'm really digging this muscle build! That 3" slick is really beefy, and your frame and fork refresh turned out great. Like @hamppea said, there's a point at which you look at the bike and ride it and get a big grin on your face. That's probably the stopping point.
My motto is "Always stop before you think you are finished."

Great work on this build!

Still slowly working on this, with a new baby at home I haven’t had a lot of free time. Picked up a headlight that I thought would look good on this build. Also started stripping the paint on the chainguard.
View attachment 146029View attachment 146030
Oh wow, congratulations man! No wonder we hadn't seen any updates; you had your hands full!
The headlight looks good on there. Are you painting the chain guard to match, or do you have something else in mind?

Babies are fun! Hopefully men's restrooms where you are have changing tables,not just the ladies. 15 years ago I had to do too many diaper changes on a toilet tank ...

Latest posts

Back