Check out my Latest Purchase....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaxon is correct, those parts won't work for you. That girls bike is a Huffy made bicycle, the Screamer is a Murray made bicycle.

Also, to clarify one thing Jaxon said about the shifter, you need a shift knob, black round knob, rather than a T Handle. Looks like the knob in the auction I posted.

The knob in that auction looks a lot like the eliminator knob, that used to be on my 3 speed except it doesnt say shift.

If the Spyders arent Murray Made, what knock off low value bikes used those wheels?

Yes, the knob is the same except for the SHIFT on the top. You could use one that has the SHIFT on it though, and paint it black on top.

Some of the Sears Spyders were made by Murray, just not that one. Sears switched manufacturers for their bikes, some Murray, some Huffy, the sprocket and frame will tell you who made it. The bike you posted has a Huffy sprocket.

I quickly wire wheeled the back of the frame and then shot it with paint to make it clear. But its not that clear. I also didnt notice the usual M at the beginning of the serial number like a Murray would have, is that the usual for sears bikes? What do you guys think?
IMG_20151215_221303_234_zpsiwalgr4i.jpg

So it is a purple coaster with a lot of paint and rust lol. Now I just have to wait for spring to strip and paint it. But at least it gives me time to stock up on parts and get other parts rechromed

Yup, you know what you got yourself there? You got yourself a Sears Screamer Coaster! 502 477 27!

Nice find, that will make a cool project. And like you said, if you wait till spring you'll have lots of time to hunt down parts for it.

Hey I know a lot of you guys are good at finding stuff on eBay. For months I've been skipping over a 20 inch coaster brake wheel from a Murray it was covered in surface rust. I was trying to find finished listings but can't seem to track it down. Was it anyone on here's listing? Or did anyone else see it?

Rob Eagleye did some of the Screamer front rims come without a MO MFG stamp.

Yes, I think some did come unstamped. I think rear wheels have come that way too. Eddie would know better though, maybe he can comment when he sees this thread.

Not a real crazy price at all! An original paint bike always sells for more, they are only original once! And it being the first year for the model, and with all the original parts, that bike might get that price!

Also, I bet if someone had to have it the seller would do better off eBay, you have to figure $200 at least in fees there!

My coaster screamer was mostly complete when I found it. It was missing the original tires and pedals, shift knob. The front rim is stamped MO and to add to that the axle shaft is more of a polished type with what looks like Ariae or something like that. I found a nos front tire for it for display only since the cords were poking out but it's a Carlyle zephyr flyte. The seat is not the typical purple seat, I think it was exclusively for sear built bikes the piping/ seams are only on the top of the seat as they curve to the side of the seat they fade away. It took me two years to find the right seat there were plenty vintage seats but the seams were not correct, found one two miles from my house on CL of all things!!! Let me know if you need more detail.

I bought a 3 speed version of the Sears Screamer a few years back and have used a few parts and sold a few as well. I do have the correct guard but it is not perfect as it has a large (1x1/4") scratch on it from where the pedal seems to have scraped it, the decals/paint are missing/faded, and the backside is rusted. I also have the correct seat which is ripped but could be a candidate for restoration, and the correct rear fender, which is in surprisingly good condition except for some rust on the underside. Let me know if you want pics.

sharmangasaurusrex Im definitely interested in parts please send some pictures.

Pretty much everyone who has offered parts I am interested, I just need a week or two to recoup my funds from Christmas, then everyone will be getting PM's.

Its funny Ive been checking eBay everyday since I found out what bike this is, and all the sudden everything I need is popping up.

RFeagleeye Im looking at your shifter now, I really like it, and chance if I buy it you could include the brake decal?

Also does anyone know what the proper color Purple is? Should I just order a house of colors paint chip set and try to match the candy?

Yes, I think some did come unstamped. I think rear wheels have come that way too. Eddie would know better though, maybe he can comment when he sees this thread.
Yes the front wheels did come not stamped. it's pretty common on them.

sharmangasaurusrex Im definitely interested in parts please send some pictures.

Pretty much everyone who has offered parts I am interested, I just need a week or two to recoup my funds from Christmas, then everyone will be getting PM's.

Its funny Ive been checking eBay everyday since I found out what bike this is, and all the sudden everything I need is popping up.

RFeagleeye Im looking at your shifter now, I really like it, and chance if I buy it you could include the brake decal?

Also does anyone know what the proper color Purple is? Should I just order a house of colors paint chip set and try to match the candy?
will take some pics and PM them to you tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back