Chopster - Part 2 - DONE 30/12/2013

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gidday guys.

Well after looking through all the posts of the builds you guys are doing... and getting all enthused at the great work everyone is doing... and now that my horticulture course is finished... and since the deadline is changed... I have decided to re-build Chopster after all. So if it's okay with you all... here goes...

CHOPSTER - PART 2

After a month of procrastination, today I looked at Chopster sitting there in the garage...

01_OldChopster.jpg

And I looked at the bit of metal that I will use to extend the frame...

02_Metal.jpg

Then, this afternoon, I cut and mocked up the new look Chopster frame...

03_FrameMockUp.jpg

More to come...

Glen.

Thanks guys.

I welded up the frame extension today an did a wee mock up...

04_Welded.jpg

I will most likely stick with the 24" wheel up front as seen in the photo above instead of the 20" coaster brake one that was on there last time. The fork might change too. Not sure on colour yet. Will most likely run with the standard aluminium wheels so will need a colour that compliments that silver aluminium colour. Not sure on tyres yet either :39:

Just making it up as I go along as usual :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments folks.

I painted it today...

05_Painted.jpg

It's red :rolleyes:

Went to the local bike shop to see about tyres. He doesn't know of a supplier of 24" white wall tyres in New Zealand so I might have to stick with black ones. Can't really afford new tyres now anyway since I just bought a new phone on which I took the above photo... it's first shot :thumbsup:

Glen.

Nice work Glen! Looks like your phone takes pretty decent photos, better than mine anyway!

Luke.

Thanks Luke. Yeah, the phone is pretty good... amazing the quality photos you can get out of a telephone these days... and this phone is an old 2010 model :43:

I just noticed you are a "Pro Member"... it says so under your avatar/name. I guess that is because of the amount of messages you have posted... which I notice is about 5000 more than me. You have been busy :41:

Hopefully will start reassembly of Chopster - Part 2 soon.

Cheers,

Glen.

Finished...

I am happy enough with it I suppose. I never really felt that inspired by Chopster in the first place. It wasn't that comfortable to ride. It is a bit better now with the frame extension... it's a better length for me. I would have preferred white wall tyres on it again but could not source a 24" for the front, so I stuck with the black ones. The gears all work now so it rides better... I can actually ride up the nearby hill now instead of having to hop off and push like on the original Chopster... a successful re-do. :113:

So here it is, as done as it's going to be.

CHOPSTER PART 2

06_Done.jpg

07_Done.jpg

08_Done.jpg

09_Done.jpg

10_Done.jpg

11_Done.jpg

12_Done.jpg

13_Done.jpg

14_Done.jpg

15_Done.jpg

Nice work Glen, you got stuck into her! Now a couple of questions? (Sorry to go off topic folks, just an ex-pat getting nostalgic) Is she black and red because you used to live in Canterbury and you can't get the red and black blood out of yourself? Tell us/me more about the old stone cottage and the river she stands near? Thank you.

Nice work Glen, you got stuck into her! Now a couple of questions? (Sorry to go off topic folks, just an ex-pat getting nostalgic) Is she black and red because you used to live in Canterbury and you can't get the red and black blood out of yourself? Tell us/me more about the old stone cottage and the river she stands near? Thank you.

Thanks mate... yes, she looks good in red, and indeed, red and black are the Canterbury colours and are a nod in that direction. I didn't want to be too obvious about it though so just the smattering of black does the trick... although you recognised it straight away :41: I'm going down to Christchurch for Easter to visit my brothers... it's been over a year now since I was last there. It is such a different place since the quakes :cry:

The stone cottage that is in the photo is called The Stone Store and is New Zealand's oldest stone building built in 1832. It stands next to Kerikeri Mission House (also known as Kemp House) which is the oldest wooden building in New Zealand. This area is often referred to as "the cradle of the nation" because it is the site of the first mission station in the country.

The water is the Kerikeri Inlet where the Kerikeri River enters and makes its way through the Bay Of Islands to the Pacific Ocean.

That's about the extent of my historical knowledge except for the fact that just across the inlet from where I live is a historic site called Kororipo Pa where Maori Leader Hongi Hika lived. I see it every day from my lounge window and often wonder what it would have been like back then.

I need to build a time traveling bike :D

Cheers,

Glen.

Latest posts

Back