Christmas Giveaway Contest! Guess how much scrap metal...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipton was the closest and I will be sending him a PM to get his address to send him the bottle opener. Good guess man. I wasn't even that optimistic!

I still don't know how many bikes were on the trailer, but it was stacked high and tight. The bottom layer of bikes with no pedals and turned bars all sat pretty flat. Mostly steel frames and steel wheels, some alloy stuff (I don't have time to separate the steel/aluminum).

In for the fun of it...
My guess 867lbs

Funkme gets overseas bragging rights with an even closer guess! She lives close to sea level like I do, maybe that's why her guess was more realistic than some of yours, we have more gravity down here... :39:

Good Haul! Its crazy to think that you get $200 a ton down there...

I'm guessing up in Michigan with all the steel that was made/used in that area, you don't get as much for it. Around here, scrap metal is "big business" as there are some guys who do nothing but collect scrap and go to the scales daily. When gas prices go down they are more active. Some of the guys are on the up and up, some a little shady.

This was only the 3rd time I've hauled a load and each time it's pretty exciting to get money for garbage.

Dang, I would have won if I'd have gotten my guess in on time.

Sorry man, I just didn't want this to drag on since I have a bunch of Christmas stuff revving up and I didn't want this to "fall away."

I'll have to do something similar another time. It was fun for me too.

Consequently... what would your guess have been? :rofl:

It varies so much here. Some days/weeks, it will be $250 a ton on up, but others, it will be down to 160-170 a ton. But I can drive an hour west from me and get $325 a cubic ton for short steel. Metal here is Michigan is crazy.

And theft here had gotten so bad over the past few years, its ridiculous. Man hole covers, sewer drains covers, and even stolen cars. Cutting off peoples catalytic converters was a huge thing a year or more ago. Heck, even house siding now requires a permit to turn in, as well as house plumbing if over 20 lbs, and they are even trying to make it a law for residents of our county to buy a scrapping permit/endorsement.

As far as getting cash for garbage, a few years ago when prices were up, and no one had caught on, we had a few years of saving receipts and counting $17,000+ per year, just for picking up scrap on the side of the road. You could drive around on them days and make $100 easy. Plus, no taxes. :113:

and now on account of all the theft, city council made up these billboards.

Here in NC, if a car is over 10 years old you don't need a title to scrap it, and if you get caught scrapping a car that isn't yours, it's only a misdemeanor. We also have theft of pipes, manhole covers, cars, siding, and also A/C units.

Thats whats nice around here. Is most everyone knows who the local scrappers are. So if someone from out of town comes around trying to snag up scrap they get ran out of town

I ordered the bottle opener and had it shipped directly to Skipton, I doubt he'll get it before Christmas though. :oops:

Who wants to fund the next silly contest?

Guess how many plastic valve caps in my shop.
Guess the number of broken spokes on my bikes.
Guess how many bike related scars I have.
Guess how many reflectors I've removed from bikes.

I think Luke threw everyone off by saying he thought they were way too high, and that guy lifts some heavy metal, so he's pretty believable.

Whoops! :rofl:
Congrats on getting a decent payout though...

Luke.

Funkme gets overseas bragging rights with an even closer guess! She lives close to sea level like I do, maybe that's why her guess was more realistic than some of yours, we have more gravity down here... :39:

:dance2::praise::rockout:(soakin it) I went on the average weight of a bike,most are around 10kg,(here that is). So with different metals and a guesstimate count of frames,+ more bits n bobs...400kg Converted to pounds,881lbs,then decided 67 is a good number & year... Short a few bikes... Oh well next time...:whistle:
Thanx for the quick fun.:113:

Sorry man, I just didn't want this to drag on since I have a bunch of Christmas stuff revving up and I didn't want this to "fall away."

I'll have to do something similar another time. It was fun for me too.

Consequently... what would your guess have been? :rofl:

I was thinking around a thousand, but the plan as I scrolled to the bottom was to pull a Price Is Right, and simply bid one pound over the highest guess, so my official guess was going to be 868. ;)

All I was thinking was...that poor little trailer...I hope you aired up the tires a little..
Nice haul and thanks for the fun game. I just bought an aluminum utility trailer last week, still need to register it and will be ready to make a scrap trip soon after.

That tire in the photo on the trailer has a slow leak, I aired it up. My trailer started life as a pop-up camper (wish I knew what kind, must have been tiny), then it was stripped down and used to trailer a flat bottom bass boat, then used as a utility trailer with the same plywood deck and flush mount rollers when I bought it and built the 5/4" deck on it.

Latest posts

Back