chrome mirror and rim detailing tips

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys u have been such a wealth of knowledge so I thought I would reach out for the forums input

I want to add a single right side chrome mirror to the bike but maybe not so much for function but to add coolness ha or aesthetics. Any suggestions?. I have seen a few on Amazon but seems the attachment aspect is sketchy getting the handlebar to keep it in p[lace. Also seen the aluminum part that is more substantial and then the mirror can screw into that part. I would like sold chrome with no reflector and an L-shaped stem holding the mirror itself. Didn't want it to look cheap and flimsy
keeping with the nostalgia of the Rat Fink Bike cant do the twisted chrome stem or iron cross-shaped mirror you know.

Also I have used numerous chrome - metal polishing products for the rims just wondered if you guys have had any special detailing tricks to get and keep the rims sparkling

Attachments

• 56B56ACA-06FA-4FB5-B52E-A1C62EC65DC2.jpeg
    56B56ACA-06FA-4FB5-B52E-A1C62EC65DC2.jpeg
    489.1 KB · Views: 81
I have never found the straps that come with bicycle mirrors to my satisfaction.

IMG_2806.JPG

This is a small motorcycle mirror with an 8mm stem threaded into a cast aluminum brackets with a 7/8" bar ID.
IMG_2805.JPG

This is a small Sunlight brand mirror fastened to a handlebar crossbar bracket. The bracket actually has the same threads as the mirror. This my favorite mount of all. It is small and minimalist but holds the mirror firmly and doesn't rotate on the bars when you adjust the mirror.

I agree with the gentlemen above about the mirror mounts. I have tried many, and usually i end up using motorcycle mounts. CNC'd alu pieces that pop up often are actually quite good at doing their job. But if you want some L$$K, then go for an expensive motorcycle mount with the chrome that shouts "SHINE!"
In my experience left mirror is more useful on the road. When i had two, i ended up looking at pretty girls passing by through my right mirror most of the time, so i had to take it off as unsafe :)
With the polishing products it is always an experiment for me. I always start with green polishing paste based on chrome oxide. But particularly with Electra rims i achieve better results with liquid chrome polish from Turtle Wax or with alu-specific blue/white polishing paste.

I have these on my Rat Fink and I got them from bikeworld usa I think many years ago,I went for the green reflector because of the green color of the bike and thought they had a cool retro look.
Funny you mentioned the rims as the other day I used "wenol" polish on my front rim and it came out great.
I wondered if it was anodized but not so,made a big difference.
3dca9504-c2a7-4317-a5d7-2a57654df182_zpsb3863bbc-1_zpsb1aae93b.jpg
IMG_0778.JPG

Latest posts

Back