Chucka's Electra Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a long ongoing thread depending on how busy work keeps me and my personal life. but thought this would be a good place to post pics as I do it.

Scored a Electra Suzy Q off craigslist yesterday. Looks a little weathered but in great shape. Seat and grips need replacing for sure but I can work with everything else!! I want to keep it as much Electra as possible, funds and availability of the parts will be a big factor.

Here is a list off the top of my head that I would like to do (even though I know it will change)

New Seat - black electra
New Grips - black electra
New Spocket - have no idea yet
New handlebars - straight, drag style
Forks - If the ones on it can be shortened I will do that, otherwise I will keep them as is
Front wheel - change to 26 inch, black spokes, painted rim
Rear wheel - stock 24, black spokes, painted rim
Frame,Fender and Chainguard - Stripped and either painted or powdercoated (no idea on a color yet)

That's all I can think of now. All I know is that I'm going to make this look much different than the gray/pink theme it is now.

Here is a pic when I got it home. excuse the mess, it's my utility/storage room at my house.

1f26b7b3.jpg

comments and suggestions welcome.

I had this idea for colors/theme for a future build, but it doesn't fit any of my current builds.
and i think it would look cool on a bike, an airplane theme is alway's a cool thing to do on a bike.
and its something different then a red baron theme. you have to stick with gray though,
but you could use two shades of gray and paint the forks yellow(all flat) ad the symbols to the chainguard.
I would not use the symbol on the tail at all.
Maybe the headtube yellow too and some yellow scallops on top and down tube.
29o4ioi.gif

Hey, you sure don't see those, often. I'm curious to know how much you landed it, for.

I got another question, though. If your Suzy is still together, can you weigh it, for me? I want to know how much more the steel framed Electra choppers weigh, over the newer aluminum ones. I own a newer Rat Fink, and it weighs 39 lbs. I'm wanting to pick up another similar bike. There's a Jeremy for sale near me, and I'm considering pursuing it, but I'm trying to decide if I can live with the heavier frame, or if I want to stick with an Alloy one. If I bought the Jeremy, I'd probably just outfit it with a 3 or 7 speed hub, and be done (for awhile). I've been shopping for a ghostrider for awhile now, and when they do show up, they've been priced quite high.

Rooski. Couldn't get the weight of the bike. pulled my scale out and weighed myself first and it said I was 188lbs. I was happy with that number but I know I weigh about 235. So I tossed the scale in the trash. :(
Sorry

But I did take most of the bike apart, will need to get some more tools to take the chain and cranks off, hopefully it will be done by this weekend.

But I did find out the forks are not going to be able to be cut and shortened from the top, was not happy with that, but oh well, it will sill look good when I'm done.

Will post pics later, the room I'm working in is pretty dark right now and my iphone can't get a good pic.

chucka said:
Rooski. Couldn't get the weight of the bike. pulled my scale out and weighed myself first and it said I was 188lbs. I was happy with that number but I know I weigh about 235. So I tossed the scale in the trash. :(
Sorry

I'll buy that scale off ya! :lol: ...I just bought a couple of new 21D Townies. I had no idea how great they road. I won't be buying any more cantilever or diamond frame bikes. I have a new favorite company. Looking forward to progress on your build.

chucka said:
Rooski. Couldn't get the weight of the bike.........

Thanks for trying, Chucka! I'll ask around.

KOTA said:
I just bought a couple of new 21D Townies. I had no idea how great they road.

Ya know........since I bought my Rat Fink, I haven't been taking my Schwinn's out, at all. I also have a Townie 3i, and all of my recent local searches for bike deals have only been for certain Electra models.

So I had a conversation with my girl last night and we decided to buy me another bike and let her ride this one. (bonus for her showing interest in a hobby of mine)

So now the plans are
New seat
New handlebars and grips
Paint the Rims (they are very faded)

the frame's paint is in great shape and we both love the gray with pink/purplish flames on it.

So now I'm looking for a new one for me. Either an Electra or a Felt!!

Latest posts

Back