Chunkpunk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alrighty, I made it!
Mad dash to the finish this last week, but I'm finally content where I stand.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this project, and it changed a lot over the course of the build off. I really tried to do a lot of stuff I've never seen anyone try to do on a bicycle before, so a lot of this was a learning and relearning experience, as I not really done anything artistically for a dozen or more years.

As my first buildoff, I humbly submit:
"Chunkpunk" otherwise known as; The Baby Eater 2000 or The Victorian Death Machine.

Original build thread found:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/chunkpunk-doneski.83252/

Ok. Here's the story and a list of some stuff that has been done to this bike.
I kind of dropped off the forums there for a month or so and didn't update it toward the end of the buildoff.

When I set out to build this bike, I intended this to be as much an art project as a bike, and this is both. I set out to do the impossible in the bike world. Turn a Walmart bike into something cool.

This was originally a 2014 Mongoose Dolomite. Walgoose Fat Bike with normal modern geometry.

From the original build thread:
"While I originally intended the bike design to be 100% Steampunk, after doing more research into the styles, I found that it really didn't fit into any single "punk" genre. If I were to give words to describe what I intend it would be "A mix of Madmax, Steampunk, with some Tesla thrown in"
This build will feature custom built fenders, a custom built tank, upgraded components, as well as various aesthetic elements I've never seen used on a bicycle before."

Unfortunately the Tesla elements got pushed aside as it caused too much of a conflict of styles.
I hope I did a good enough job of portraying my vision of what a Post-Apocolyptic MadMax/Steampunk styled bike would look like.

Every single item, down to the washers has been styled to fit with this concept. Its hard for my camera to pick out the close details while still getting a overall picture of the bike.

Hopefully this bicycle can inspire someone to think outside of the box. There was no welding and only basic hand tools used in this build. I can take off all of the styling elements if I wanted to. I wanted to do some stuff that I've never seen on a bike before.

A few things I really like about this build that set it apart from the rest:
Extremely awesome leather patina'd seat.
Wheel spikes made from brass clothing spikes
Painted whirewalls - 26x4 fat tire goodness.
Star Wars lightsabers for exhaust/Ion engines
Motorcycle handlebars and new stem
Faux engine made from a butchered up Transformers mask.
Custom handmade fenders

Upgrades:
Avid BB7 Mechanical Disc brakes
Shimano Mega Range freewheel
Shimano Altus Rear Derailer
7 Speed Shimano thumb shifter
Gold KMC chain
Marine bearing grease

An incredible amount of planning and design was done, but the majority of the time was spent prepping and painting. Everything was painted using multiple layers of spray paint, and given an fine detail with handpainting and a product called "rub and buff" which gives most of the items an aged, worn out look. This was an incredibly long and hard process to take a brand new bike and make it look both old and from another time and place.

Last edited:
Wow missed this one, fenders are rad

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

This one was fun to follow!
The finished build is chunked full of wild creativity!!!
CONGRATS BUDDY!!!

Congrats on an original interpetation of the Mad Max genere. Way Cool!

Looks like a metalized serpent in the underbrush. Sweeeet!!

Turned out great. I was hoping you'd finish it time.

Congratulations on a superb creation! The mind is a wonderful thing! Rolling art at it's finest!

Latest posts

Back