Classic Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I am going to try my 1st BO if I can use this frame. It has some pitting on the bottom of the stay I am worried might have weakened it. It feels solid but wondering what might happen when a 200 lb. person is riding it. Need opinions. Could I just hit it with a welder to fill in? Do not want to cut into this frame because it has some seriously cool patina.

FRAME:

Problem area:

That is the worst of the pitting. It is on the bottom of the stays so could fill the pitting and just touch it up????
I usually do not work with very old frames so I guess these are common problems but decided to re-grease the fork bearings and found some striped threads on the fork. With all the info on here it was not to hard to fix. A little primer and topcoat to protect it and on to the next part.
Could be a coincidence but I ran across some guy selling some 26 x 2.125 cream tires on so I think they could be perfect for this project.

I think I am going to try my 1st BO if I can use this frame. It has some pitting on the bottom of the stay I am worried might have weakened it. It feels solid but wondering what might happen when a 200 lb. person is riding it. Need opinions. Could I just hit it with a welder to fill in? Do not want to cut into this frame because it has some seriously cool patina.

FRAME:

Problem area:
Still more metal there than a new Wallyworld bike. Run it

Is that a cwc? Nice curves...
If it aint broke,dont fix it.
A little bit of pitting wont hurt,adds character.

Looks like an old CWC built (based on frame style) Western Flyer (based on headbadge shape)
Super score for $20.

Cool! I personally would leave the frame alone, it looks awesome! Wheel & tire combo works well too.

Looks like an old CWC built (based on frame style) Western Flyer (based on headbadge shape)
Super score for $20.
Exactly right. This one of my all time favorite frames! Same as my Southern Flyer bike.
It's already got a great look at this stage!:cool2:

What kind of date on it guys? 50's?
I really like the seat post angled back. Makes it look like it is going fast.

Back